A Conversation for Draft map

Draft map

Post 1

Bluebottle

Very Impressive, Amy. smiley - smiley

*Essentially this is a post so I know if anyone else writes here*


Draft map

Post 2

Little Bo Peep - I've lost my sheep

Scurries across map


Draft map

Post 3

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Styx has raised some objections. Read the other thread.


Draft map

Post 4

Styx the Rat

sniff sniff
No map here, but x marks the spot
heh heh heh

A wise rat eats at home. I don't trust you.
*runs away*


Draft map

Post 5

Bluebottle

Excellent Amy. smiley - smiley
I think it's about perfect.


Draft map

Post 6

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

I think therefore I am


Draft map

Post 7

Researcher 99947

Therefore I... am I think?


Draft map

Post 8

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

I don't know where I am. The places I frequent are not on the map.


Draft map

Post 9

Bluebottle

Looneytunes, you should go to the beach more often, then. smiley - smiley

Amy may well do other maps of the other parts of h2g2 - if people criticising haven't put her off. smiley - winkeye


Draft map

Post 10

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

The map is still in draft form. I can add places if you think they have to be on the slice of h2g2 I have drawn so far. CLI, Lil's, The Pier, L'Hotel Chrome are to the East (right) of the map. I have no idea where the Space Station is.

If you want something adding, cite the evidence for the siting from existing threads or assure me that there is no contradictory evidence out there.


Draft map

Post 11

Bluebottle

I've just thought of somewhere that needs adding. The Fish could do with having his Coral Reef Cafe added somewhere - it is at:
http://www.h2g2.com/A340093
and is in the area. Ask the Fish about where exactly.

Amy - have you considered doing a map of Frinks Drinks? That also would be to the East, I would guess...


Draft map

Post 12

Bluebottle

Oh, and how about (when you do the East Map) you include the Laughter Room:
http://www.h2g2.com/A227440


Draft map

Post 13

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Isn't the Aroma Café part of Frink's Drinks? In which case I can just extend the building by building a north wing.

I will investigate the Coral Reef. Perhaps Mt. Muwemu is in the centre of a partial atoll like islands in The Maldives.


Draft map

Post 14

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I'm feeling inclined to build a Public Library and Museum somewhere on the Town Square. The Laughter Room could be inside that.


Draft map

Post 15

Styx the Rat

*stands up on hind legs and looks at map*
sniff sniff
Where is DD's Italian Restaurant. Can't smell it anywhere.
heh he but this is the Ant Lady's world. No Germans either!

*sits back*
But Ant Lady said she would only draw waterworks and things she knows like bar and her self.

Fair enough. If Styx drew a map, he put himself in the middle of that heh heh heh!

*nibbles corner of map* Won't last long! Paper is high in formic acid.
*runs away*


Draft map

Post 16

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Your map is differently imagined than the one I never did smiley - smiley And I mention this because I'd like to petition for inclusion of a boardwalk.

In my imagination, I saw a town square too, but it was highly municipal, so to speak: the Towers were there, and a big library where the processing of entries went on. Hard by that would be the town hall with the welcome and feedback and ask h2g2 fora therein, and the H2G2 Post would be across from that. Set well back in park grounds on a rise behind the town square would be a building of something Deeply Impressive like white marble, which would be the Guide. Temple-like. I bet you could do a great rendition of that in Bryce.

A wide avenue would lead from the town square toward the water, and on either side of this avenue could be found an oddfellows of halls and churches housing the different organizations.

At the water, then, one would find the refreshment and commerce and novelties.

You can easily infer why I never put this to paper, so to speak: I knew that there were certain "original" institutions, notably Frink's Baseball Diamond and Clubhouse, the Waterworks, Joanna's Donut Stall, the F&F and then Crater Labs and the Aroma Cafe. And then other establishments accreted and began to describe their locations impossibly. And I reckoned that, however I arranged all these things, at least one person and probably more would be unhappy or feel left out or just reject my map because it didn't accord with their view of thr world.

Now I'm looking at the map and I reckon a boardwalk will be too much of a wrench for the coast as you have it. smiley - sadface So never mind about the boardwalk, but what do you think about the town square concept?

And dang, Styx is right about the Germans. They have a pub too. And I bet you it's right smack in the middle of their map!


Draft map

Post 17

Styx the Rat

Blubottle.
Do you own Virtual Sandown Pier?


Draft map

Post 18

Bluebottle

Yes - I do own Virtual Sandown Peir. That was the first name for what evolved into the H2G2 Waterworks & Beach. It suffers from what Irving's Aroma Cafe does. As his was originally titled "Aroma Cafe - Not Yet Open" on the 5 busiest forums thing it is listed under that name, and the H2G2 Waterworks & Beach, when it is busiest, is listed as "Virtual Sandown Peir".

That was before I thought of the proper name for it.


Draft map

Post 19

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

OK, I'm feeling brave this weekend so it's time for another draft. This is what I propose to do:

I shall extend the grey part of the town square to the East so that its eastern boundary does not show on this map (the Waterworks Map). The eastern wall of the Aroma will also fall off the map leaving room for anything and everything to happen on that side.

I shall redraw the orange 'town' as a series of small units which might get allocated at a later date. Much of the town is, of course, off to the East of this map.

The road leading to the Town Bridge is going to be called Bridge Street. Oh yes it is, don't argue. The road to the North is North Street.

I am still minded to draw a Library and Museum Building on the northern edge of the square. It is my intention to operate this from my Space as a page of organised links to places of interest or otherwise in the h2g2 world. There will be no pictures on that page. It will incoorporate Peta's Library by simple dint of putting a link to it from the Reading Room.

I agree that the places Lil lists in her post (above) exist but most of them are to the East of this map. In particular, I don't feel brave enough to tackle the design and construction of h2g2 Towers at this stage. There is a German Pub but I can find no evidence that it is in the part of h2g2 covered by this map.

I will draw the northernmost of a series of atolls and sand islands to the South and hope that The Fish approves of them next time he is around.

Entrances to the sewers will be marked as manhole (entity-hole?) covers. The map will be clickable. Wow!

Is there anything I've overlooked?

Amy smiley - smiley


Draft map

Post 20

Bluebottle

I can't think of anything that you've overlooked - but I sure wish you luck when you get around to tackling the map to the East. smiley - winkeye

Oh, and while I remember - on your village Map Peregrin suggested that you link the church to the H2G2 Christians page. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post