The Gideons International

0 Conversations

"The Gideons International is a organization of business and professional men devoted to the sole purpose of winning men, women, boys and girls to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ", reads the mission statement. The Gideons is, to put it more simply, a whole lot of people, a whole lot of Bibles, and the world.

John Nicholson, Samuel Hill, and Will Knights founded the Gideons in 1899. Nicholson and Hill had met several months before in a double room of a crowded hotel in Wisconsin where both were staying the night, and upon each discovering that the other was Christian, got the idea to form an Association. The early Gideons were largely traveling men, who left their mark by leaving a Bible at the desk of each hotel they visited. The idea of leaving a Bible in each hotel room was instituted in 1908.

The Gideons now distributes Bibles not only in hotel rooms, but in schools, universities, prisons, hospitals, military organizations, law enforcement, and many other institutions. They are active, as of this writing, in more than 170 countries, distributing texts in nearly eighty languages, with approximately 150,000 dues-paying members across the globe, and netting approximately one million Bibles placed each week.

The Gideon emblem is a white jar on a navy background with a red flame spurting out of the top. A yellow circle adorns the outside rim.

The Gideons does not associate itself with any other organization. It is, however, an approximation of several of the different denominations of Christianity, leaving a situation that no one Gideon finds perfect, but is satisfactory. For instance, in the USA (where the Gideons are best-rooted), there are few Bibles distributed in anything but the New King James version. However, since there is a belief in some churches that "If it isn't King James, it isn't the Bible", this is unlikely to change.

Those striving for political-correctness will note that the mission statement above reads "business and professional men". Indeed, the Gideons is made up entirely of men well-established in the business world, except those who are in the industry of brewing, distributing, or selling alcoholic beverages. The Auxiliary, a part of the organization for women, was created in 1901. The Auxiliary mainly provides support for the Gideons and include more than 81,000 women worldwide.

The Gideons International Headquarters is located in Nashville, Tennessee, USA, with a staff of less than 100 people. It's got a nice little atrium in the center of the building with a skylight. The walls are adorned with pewter plaques engraved with the passage of John 3:16. Each plaque carries the message in a different language; all of the languages the Gideons distribute in are displayed. A Gideon emblem mosaic decorates the floor. It makes for a nice place for headquarters employees to have lunch, should they desire.

The Gideons International Homepage can be found at http://www.gideons.org.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A399288

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more