A Conversation for Running With Scissors

mind games

Post 1

several, a/k/a random

i agree. 'money' is a concept. those of us 'on the edge' HAVE to spend, regretfully or 'the man comes and takes you away' as the song goes. it's those things that you really don't need, but you wanna have that are getting in my way.
it's like, look, are you going to use this, or will it gather dust ?
at least, money in the bank CAN be spent, DOES make a small Return On Investemnt (a topic i hope you'll address)and gives one a little.....margin for error.
for example, cable teevee. do i really need a hundred and fifty channels of nothing on ? no, i get by just fine with the mid-level of 60-some. why should i buy shrimp ? do i really need that bag of semi-cheese doodles ?
that said, having some 'money in the bank' at the right time CAN help one purchase a new teevee, a confuser upgrade, etc. when those items go on sale.
spending is fine......spending wisely is better.
smiley - musicalnote


mind games

Post 2

quizzical

smiley - smiley I'm such a tightwad, I really don't like spending money. Unfortunately I had to spend a bunch this morning; my computer committed suicide last night, and I use it for *everything*. I ran to Best Buy this morning and got a laptop, which of course couldn't connect to my old printer using a parallel port, so I had to get a new printer as well... Once I get done re-loading everything (and saying various 'sacred incantations' when things don't work), I'll have to try to resurrect the old one (I think the hard drive is shot - thank heaven I took a backup on Friday).

I've been thinking various uncharitable thoughts about Microsoft. I can't activate Office - it keeps telling me the activation code isn't valid...

Oops - just looked at the code and I see what I was doing wrong (typing B instead of 8). See, it always helps to talk these things over with someone else... smiley - smiley

When I'm done kowtowing to the computer gods, I'll post a sports update on your column. Synchro Skating Worlds were held last weekend. Miami U's varsity team came in 7th, a personal best for them. Go, team!!!

quizzical
(My kingdom for a mouse...)


mind games

Post 3

several, a/k/a random

yea, verily, we bow down to bill gates and his ilk ! at present i'm getting 6-8 e-mails a day, wanting to sell me 'script drugs AND THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO GET MY ONE CREDIT CARD # online is the norton/symantech antivirus system. (if i can't trust THEM, who CAN i trust ?)
yes, i too are a Scrooge, and it is near the Day of the end-of-month reckoning when i must sign my name several (and random)times to keep The Beast away from my doorstep.
(i have been known to adjourn to a local watering hole, spread my paperwork all over the table in the window and sit with two adult beverages, howling in pain at each number, each signature.)
p.s. i have the dayton daily news and cincy enquirer in my 'favorites' but they're down at the bottom. the BBC and cleveland are near the top, with msnbc in the middle. any additional sports would be greatly appreciated.
smiley - musicalnote


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Running With Scissors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more