A Conversation for Volunteer to be a Sub-editor

Ska_saves - wishes to volunteer as a sub-editor

Post 1

Judith Pearson

Hi there,

I have just completed an English Literature degree and am hoping to obtain some editing experience. I am already familiar with scrutinising text carefully to ensure there are no structural, grammatical or spelling mistakes in my essays and was womdering how I go about undertaking some editing work.


Ska_saves - wishes to volunteer as a sub-editor

Post 2

Judith Pearson

Oh, I mean "wondering" smiley - smiley


Ska_saves - wishes to volunteer as a sub-editor

Post 3

Malabarista - now with added pony

Hello, Judith, and welcome to h2g2, or hootoo, as we call it. smiley - smiley

I see that an ACE has dropped by your space to welcome you with some handy links and so on - this site can be confusing for beginners! You can ask your ACE about anything you need to know - or me; I'm a person, not an automated message, and I'm a sub-editor myself. I've just started a new job and can't devote as much time to this site as I'd like, but I'll try to get back to you within a day or two.

Now about sub-editing:

You should probably write a few Edited Guide Entries of your own before you become a sub-editor, so you can learn first hand how the process works and get acquianted with the Writing-Guidelines and the house style. That's the usual way round. Sometimes, the Editors will let new volunteers skip straight to subbing (after a brief test), but they're rather busy at the moment, since we have a site redesign in progress.

Why don't you have a look around PeerReview while you wait for an official answer from the Editors? You can comment on works in progress there (since those are the entries you'd later be subbing) and, of course, you can submit one of your own.

If you don't know what to write about, you can check the <./>FleaMarket</.> for abandoned entries to finish instead. That would be a good way to learn to work with what other people have written.

Good luck! And if you need any help, just leave a reply here and I'll be happy to answer any questions. smiley - ok


Ska_saves - wishes to volunteer as a sub-editor

Post 4

The H2G2 Editors

Judith! welcome to h2g2! (Thank you Malabarista for your welcoming response too.) If you're still keen Judith, let us know here. If you need any help navigating your way around h2g2 just give us a shout. We look forward to hearing from you.

h2g2 Eds. smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more