A Conversation for The Gurus' Home Page

Search help!!

Post 1

Peta

Hi Gurus!

I seem to recall somewhere in the distant past a description of the functionality of the search engine, the page/content explained the % score system behind the search engine.

I've found this page http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A308198#4 "How can I search the Guide?" - but the one I'm thinking of had more information.

Has anyone bookedmarked the fuller search explanation page or remembers where this content might be? I've tried searching, but no joy (ironically!)...


Search help!!

Post 2

J'au-æmne

If I recally correctly, the percentages are worked out using a formula that only the programming on the microsoft database server knows, and are then scaled up to make people feel better, because originally they were all stupidly low, even when the search engine worked. I don't know where I got this impression from, though, possibly a thread in the bug reports section... it would be from way back, as well, as I think it became an issue when Ripley went online, because before then everything was in perl, and now it's in C++.


Search help!!

Post 3

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/DontPanic-Explore#footnote8

It might be what you're looking for?


Search help!!

Post 4

Peta

Wonderful, thank you Bernadette, that's exactly what I've been looking for!

Your help is much appreciated. smiley - smiley


Search help!!

Post 5

SEF

Given that it is on the same page, A308198, as you had already allegedly read and rejected, you should see why the rest of us were having trouble coming up with anything better! smiley - weird The other discussions of it, which I vaguely recall, had been in threads - possibly also the same ones as previously mentioned.


Search help!!

Post 6

Jimi X

*waves to Peta*
smiley - loveblush


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more