Tom Green

1 Conversation

Tom Green is a comedian and the host of "The Tom Green Show," a television show currently on the MTV network in the United States. He has appeared in movies such as "Road Trip" and "Superstar." Dennis Leary has described him as "sincerely crazy."

The History of Green

Born in Pembroke, Ontario, Canada, Green grew up mostly in Ottawa, Ontario. As a teenager he was consider very outspoken in class, and a troublemaker. He was said to single-handedly bring school assemblies to a halt with his weird antics. With his friends, he would spend hours filming mock David Letterman shows in his garage, wearing his father's old suits, and interviewing his parents for lack of any other interesting guests.

Through hard work and luck, Tom Green was able to get a television show on local cable access in Ottawa. For a few years, he shocked, annoyed, and scared the Canadian capital with the first incarnation of The Tom Green Show. His faithful sidekick/victim was Glenn Humplik, who he met while working on a late night radio show.

Eventually Tom was taken in by The Comedy Network, and given a show nationwide across Canada. This second incarnation of the show was the most outrageous. Due to his late timeslot, and cable only distribution, Green was able to swear liberally and show almost anything he wanted on screen.

After two successful years on the Comedy Network, Green was picked up by MTV. He quickly set up the third and current incarnation of The Tom Green Show.

Tom Green is currently believed to be living the high life in Hollywood, and may or may not be engaged to Drew Barrymore.

Comedy Style

Tom Green's style of comedy is both surrealistic and stupid. His sketches are seen by some as the inventions of a comedic genius, and by others as the pranks of an immature moron. Most of his sketches involve doing randomly weird things in public, and televising the results in rough-cut "Reality TV" style1.

In true Canadian style, Tom Green is more eager to make fun of himself rather than his victims. The comedy lies in the reactions of others as they are confronted with the bizarre character or situation. Other times, Tom simply lets his victims embarass themselves through their own anger or scorn2.

In any case, let it be said that while some people love him, others hate him. There is very little middle ground.

Sidekicks

Some other people who appear on the show are:

Glenn Humplik - Tom's best friend and victim to some of his pranks. Glenn's real job is a programming computers for a "major telephone company."

Phil Giroux - Another of Tom's friends. A perpetual bachelor who usually sits in the background and provides a laugh-track to the show.

Derek Harvie - Though rarely seen onscreen, Derek is the show's chief writer, and yet another of Tom's friends.

Ray - Ray was the cameraman during the second season of the Canadian show.

MC Face and Billy Bob - These are some of Tom's alter egos, though he often denies his relationship with them.

Famous Antics

Since Green's style is almost indescribeable, here are some favorite examples of what he's done.

  • Painted his parent's house plaid.
  • Randomly attacked his desk with a chainsaw.
  • Dressed up as a criple with bandages and a crutch, then fallen over in front of people in the street, who frantically try to help him up.
  • Randomly sprayed his sidekick with bags of milk3.
  • Claimed strangers he met on the street were celebrities in a feature called "Celebrity Watching."
  • Sawed a dead raccoon in half4.
1Tom Green sometimes edits his own segments, addind random slow-motions and subtitles (e.g. "Holding lights is fun.")2For example: The angry old man who attacks Tom on the streets of Ottawa.3Only on the canadian show, because milk bags are not available in the US!4This was the only time the Canadian censors objected, and an un-gory version is shown. The gory version is out on some videos.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A394067

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more