A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Feature Suggestions

Refugees from the WW2 Peoples War Site

Post 1

ex4thhussar

Hi

For the past two years I have been a fairly active contributor to the WW2 Peoples War site and have enjoyed being a site helper.

At the end of this year, the site,at least in its present format will close and then re-open as a searchable archive.
No further contributions will then be accepted and there will be no further opportunities to take part in forums.
Hence this message.

I have recommended to others in the same position as myself that they should use h2G2 to communicate with others who have a general interest in WW2 matters or who would like to maintain the links they have made with like souls over the past two years.

It might be an idea for H2G2 to anticipate the possible influx of people, like myself, who wish to take advantage of H2G2, by promoting the WW2 facilities at present available.

With thanks.....in anticipation

Ron


Refugees from the WW2 Peoples War Site

Post 2

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Hi Ron, and welcome to h2g2 smiley - smiley

>>It might be an idea for H2G2 to anticipate the possible influx of people, like myself, who wish to take advantage of H2G2, by promoting the WW2 facilities at present available.
<<

Not sure what you mean there. Promote which facilities? and to whom - h2g2 people or WW2 people?


Perhaps you might like to set up an A page here on h2g2 that serves as a focal point for WW2 people?

When there is an influx of people from another site there is often a period of adjustment for the new people coming in. h2g2 has a specific culture that most people here hold dear. It's good if people coming in take some time to learn about what h2g2 is, how it works, what's it's general feel is. A central WW2 page on h2 could help facilitate this.

smiley - cheers
kea.


Refugees from the WW2 Peoples War Site

Post 3

Whisky

Hello Ron,

Just to add another welcome...

And of course we would be lax in our duty if we didn't take this opportunity to pick the brains of any WWII veterans out there who would like to contribute to our guide... C1061 shows what's been written already on the subject of WWII but as you can see, there's an awful lot of historical info missing from our guide.

smiley - cheers


Refugees from the WW2 Peoples War Site

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit carrying the < <./>ThePost</.> > bag
"We could also have a last minute introduction tothe ww2 site for those Researchers who never came to it to write their stories. "


Refugees from the WW2 Peoples War Site

Post 5

Peta

Hi Ron,

Wouldn't it be better for you all to stay in touch on the DNA history boards at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbhistory/ instead? Have you seen them, they recently transferred over to DNA?

I'm sure h2g2 would love to have you if you want to contribute to the edited Guide, but if you want to talk history, the history boards might be the place?


Refugees from the WW2 Peoples War Site

Post 6

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Just to back up what Peta wrote, you and any other WW2 refugees would be more than welcome to help us compile entries for the World War 2 section of our Edited Guide (or indeed any other topics that take your fancy). But we do have a different flavour here to The People's War, so it'd be worth working out how people used the site previously. If they just want to talk about their experiences, they can also use the BBC History boards, as Peta mentioned.

There'll be plenty of time to find the right home for people though, so there's no need to fret just yet. In the meantime, we have a few tips for contributing that might help people decide where they want to set up home:

<./>writing-guidelines</.>


Refugees from the WW2 Peoples War Site

Post 7

ex4thhussar

Hi Peta, et al

Many thanks for your responses, I shall wait to see if there are any more are made before analysing the general reaction by h2g2 regulars at the thought of a load of old fogies descending on their site.

Peta's suggestion of "Wouldn't it be better for you all to stay in touch on the DNA history boards at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbhistory/ instead?" seems, at first glance anyway, to be a fair suggestion.

I take on board that the ethos of h2g2 seems completely and utterly different to that of the Peoples War, others on the People's War site have already drawn my attention to this, but in the absence of another 'ready made' site that already has links to all of our postings it would be churlish of me/us not to make the effort to achieve transition.

Thank you again for your welcome

I will certainly be in touch

Ron


Refugees from the WW2 Peoples War Site

Post 8

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

That explains this post then

F38451?thread=904875

I thought it was strange at the time as we don't usually get a crossing over.

smiley - cheers

Mort


Key: Complain about this post