A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Feature Suggestions

Java Popup

Post 1

Kenito

Hey, Guys...I'm brand new here, but already I think I know something that would make the site even groovier (since I think I love it here and plan to stay around a while...). I'm a member on another web site that offers a java popup when you first log in to let you know if you have any new messages waiting. Perhaps something like that would be cool for the guide, to let users know if there are any new replies in the threads in which they are participating, just like the one on the left side of the "My Home" page, but as a pop up (or a link near the bottom of that that would allow you to "float" the forum replies window) that would be updated every few minutes or seconds or so.

Just a thought...

Kev Kenito


Java Popup

Post 2

Peta

Thanks for the suggestion Kenito. We plan to introduce lots of new features over the next few months. I hope you enjoy the Guide, good to see you here.. smiley - smiley


Java Popup

Post 3

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I'd just like to agree with Kenito's idea. I would find such a pop-up window very useful, especially if it stayed "on top" of my other browser windows while I clicked away through the site.


Java Popup

Post 4

Adam C-R

Just out of interest...

If you had a Java popup that updated every few minutes or so, what would you like it to keep you informed about?

You mentioned replies to your posts, and another thread here mentions posts to your Guide Entries. Can you think of anything else?


More Features for the Java Popup...

Post 5

Kenito

Greetings, Adam...I think it'd be great if the popup included the things you listed (replies to posts, posts to guide entries...) and also maybe the "Who's Online" button. That's about all I can think of for now...Thanks for asking.

-Kenito


More Features for the Java Popup...

Post 6

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

You could also include the top-ten most recently updated threads, or the five most active forums.


More Features for the Java Popup...

Post 7

Peta

Thanks, your helpful comments have been noted... smiley - smiley


More Features for the Java Popup...

Post 8

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

I don't think it should have the most recently updated threads, that wouldn't be as useful as the others, and probably a waste of space.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more