A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Feature Suggestions

The 'now' page

Post 1

The Groob

H2G2 could feature a central area, known as the 'NOW page'. This page would tell you what postings are occuring now and have just occured (maybe in the last 24 hours) on all of H2G2 - entries, personal spaces and ASK etc.

This way you would quickly gain a comprehensive and accurate picture of where the action is on H2G2.

This would most likely become the 'starting point' for beginners, and people like me addicted to ASK might be tempted to stray into other areas! smiley - smiley


The 'now' page

Post 2

Kaz

Good idea, now that the people element on Info has gone. I used that as a way to check out new people.


The 'now' page

Post 3

Jab [Since 29th November 2002]

Erm, erm, <./>FrontPage</.>

smiley - erm


The 'now' page

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit reading <./>frontpage</.>
"Here it says clearly where the action is in '5 Busiest Conversations'.

And I never noticed the newbees posting that frequent or that long to get in any of the Top Tens <./>newusers</.> is supposed to provide such information.

(I am _not_ a <./>Guru</.&gtsmiley - winkeye"


The 'now' page

Post 5

Jim Lynn

Well, the people element of the info page only really showed a small subset, and wasn't really useful for finding new people - it was usually the same group of people. And now they've been removed, the info page is a lot quicker, and therefore a lot better for finding the most recent conversations and articles.

So <./>Info</.> might well be the page you want.


The 'now' page

Post 6

The Groob

Blimey, that was a quick response. I was expecting my suggestions to lay dormant for weeks.

While you're here Mr Jim, I've had an H2G2 brainstorm and I've got quite a few ideas to post. Copious apologies if any of them have already been done. I've been checking the 'Feature Ideas' list but I expect a few will sneak through the net.

smiley - ok


The 'now' page

Post 7

The Groob

Info page! Great.....succesfully added to my faves. smiley - smiley


The 'now' page

Post 8

Jab [Since 29th November 2002]

<./>info?cmd=conv&amp;show=100</.>

I use show=42, seems right for now on a personal space... Maybe there is a prefered limit?

Maybe the <./>info</.> page itself will be re-targeted?

smiley - erm


The 'now' page

Post 9

Kaz

The people element was useful though for finding people who actually posted, and where the action was. As opposed to 'whos online' which keeps updating so you lose your place.

I am cool though with why you stopped the people element, anything to make a site run faster. I'll still miss it though.


The 'now' page

Post 10

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"As far as I know (and see) the only thing recently changed in the listsings are
--->the Top ten of high frequent posters
--->the Top ten of very verbose posters
These are removed from the <./>info</.> page.

For the most recent postings you _still_ have the <./>info</.> page
and for the busiest conversations you _still_ have to check the <./>frontpage</.>.

Nothing changed for those, so what are you missing ? "


The 'now' page

Post 11

Kaz

the people element of info means the 10 longest posters and the 10 most posters.


The 'now' page

Post 12

Jab [Since 29th November 2002]

So it's not really just what's happened or happening, by way of created entry or conversation. It's to see *who* are the *happening* people?

*people watching*

Maybe the code is still available and can be linked to?


The 'now' page

Post 13

Jim Lynn

No, we've removed the code. It regularly took minutes to calculate and had a bad effect of the rest of the site.


Key: Complain about this post