A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Feature Suggestions

IPAQ and the Guide

Post 1

Researcher 241619

Todays pocket pc technology is such that it is now possible to retrieve, submit and store a stupid amount of information. With wireless access points every couple of miles down the road, people are writing blogs at lunch or anytime a notion hits them, and then it is updated to thier page while they drive back to work.

I think an initiative should begin to create an interface not unlike the portrayal in the HH trilogy which would enable researchers to keyword search for informaion on a downloaded Guide, and enter thier submissions on the go, and at next access point retrieve any updates and post thier entries.

I understand that not all researchers are fortunate enough to have aquired such a device, but many do and that number is surely growing.

Discuss...


IPAQ and the Guide

Post 2

SEF

It is what Douglas Adams wanted but the hardware (and software) available at the time was not able to provide it. However, Jim Lynn seems not to have abandoned the idea entirely, judging by the occasional conversations on site about it.


IPAQ and the Guide

Post 3

Zak T Duck

It's already possible to use an Ipaq, Pocket IE and the plain skin to browse the guide, and comment on entries and such juat as if you were at a desktop pc, just as long as you've got a pocket pc that's wi-fi enabled and you are in a wi-fi hotspot. I regularly use my Ipaq h5450 to get on h2g2 at home on my wireless network and out and about if a wi-fi hotspot is available. smiley - smiley


IPAQ and the Guide

Post 4

Bogie

There was a project in H2G2s infancy called "<./>onthemove</.>". It was intended to allow users to read articles and post to forums and journals using a WAP mobile phone. I think it was suspended due to the BBCs legal department getting all anxious about a threatened lawsuit from someone...

I too think the project should be re-started.

B.


IPAQ and the Guide

Post 5

Bogie

Were are the Italics when you need them?

Could we ask for <./>onthemove</.> to be relaunched?

B.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more