A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Feature Suggestions

NewUsers

Post 21

Abi

I think it is fair to say that we should temper our expectations of Jim, he is a man currently in very high demand.


NewUsers

Post 22

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

I hate to say this ... but haven't we done all this before?? smiley - sorry

Maybe the easiest solution would be for the New Users page to work off the date that the space was activated rather than when the account was registered?

We've tried for ACE only markings before and it's all a little unwieldy unless our marvellous "boffins" can come up with something (I never thought of the online eyes until they happened - and I like them smiley - biggrin ) If ACEs mark their welcomes with ... it's relatively easy to see if an ACE has been there.

I am sure that the Italics (bless 'em) are aware of the problems (we've mentioned them often enough smiley - laugh ) so I, for one will leave it in their ever so capable hands smiley - hugsmiley - grovelsmiley - winkeye


NewUsers

Post 23

broelan

i like the idea of an ace 'code' for a badge or symbol on subject lines... did i follow that idea correctly? if it could be set up like the scouts and sub-eds (that they are the only ones to have access to certain features) the code would never have to be changed, it would just fail to work for non-aces. i also think most ex-aces have quit for lack of time or enthusiasm, not so they could go around maliciously leaving faux ace greetings on newbie pages smiley - devil

a time zone feature was mentioned earlier... i think this would be a waste of resources. it doesn't matter what time zone you're in, it doesn't mean you're more likely to be online at any particular time of day. i think the eyes better serve any function this might be thought to cover. in a similar vein however might be a feature like the 'who's online' button that anyone could click on to see what volunteers were online at any given time. maybe call it something like 'instant help' or 'personal help' to indicate that it isn't just a help page. i don't spend a lot of time in the features section, so i don't know if this has been suggested in the past.

i can't remember what else i saw here to comment on, i'm sure if it comes to me i'll be back smiley - smiley


NewUsers

Post 24

SEF

I suggested the eyes in the list, but have to admit that it might fail to work for me since I tend to stay logged in. However, some people have said there is a timeout on activity such that I wouldn't look logged in to other people. Naturally this isn't really something I can test for myself (without separate connections on separate computers)!


NewUsers

Post 25

fords - number 1 all over heaven

I shouldn't imagine writing a bit of code would be too much work?


NewUsers

Post 26

Jab [Since 29th November 2002]

*waves to fords*

Not a new subject, put as promised *bump* of this thraed from another 'welcome' related one...

F27584?thread=482808?thread=&post=5843848#p5839904


NewUsers

Post 27

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Already there smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more