Latin American Pre-Hispanic Cultures

1 Conversation

Before Columbus crossed the pond for the first time, proving that the earth was indeed round. Before the Conquistadores arrived with their lethal diseases. When the Europeans moncarchs ignored the existance of a "new" continent, there were great civilizations in what would be the Americas. With pyramids and populous cities. Groups of people that lived in the poorest land that grew and became the most powerful! Now there is information here, in the Guide, about the wondrous civilizations before the Spaniards arrived.

The Three Periods

The history of the Mesoamerican civilizations are divided in three periods:

The Pre-Classic Period was the formative age which lasted from 1500 B.C. to 300 A.D. The people discovered and settled in new areas. The buildings that are left from that time are made of earth, clay, and rocks. The Olmecs were the most important group of the time.

The Classic Period filled the years 300 A.D. to 900 A.D. with splendor. Great ceremonial centers were built. The leaders during this time were priests, who deeply knew mathematics and astronomy. They believed that heavens decided human destiny. There was a lot of land and people. The Mayas were in their prime as was the great city of Teotihuacan. Due to possible ecological disasters, food shortages, over-population, and attacks from barbarian northern tribes, the great cities fell and the Classical period ended.

The Post-Classic Period lasted from 900 A.D. to 1500 A.D., when the Spaniards conquered the native people of Mesoamerica. The people were dispersed and new cities were founded. The most important city was the Aztec's Tenochtitlan.

The Civilizations


The Aztecs, or Mexicas, were one of the last, but the most remembered. They migrated from the northern deserts for many, many years towards what one of their gods, Huitchilopochtli, told them to search for an eagle devouring a snake on a cactus in an isle.
The Mayas were another great civilization that died out much before the Europeans arrived due to over-population. They controlled the Yucatan Penninsula in Mexico and Central America.
The Olmecs lived around the state of Veracruz, Mexico. They are known for their giant sculptures of stone heads.
The Incas were the civilization that is known the most about in South America as they existed when the Spaniards arrived. The region they habitated was in the Andes Mountains.

Leyends and Poetry

This project won't include merely information about the cultures. It shall add depth with their poetry and their leyends. There will be verses by Netzayacoyotl and Cuahtemoc. Texts will be translated from the Popol Vuh, the Mayan's book of myths.

Current Entries

A388695: - The Origins.
A414109: - The Olmecs.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A385995

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more