The Supermarine Spitfire

2 Conversations

Work in progress. Thankyou for your patience. (as if you really have any choice)

GUIDE ML IS CRAP!!!!!!!!! The pics don't show even if you copy and paste the F****** code.

<PICTURE EMBED="CENTER" BLOB="B5340215" ALT="Definitely not a Spitire"/>


If there has ever been an aircraft that has changed the world in some way, that has set passions and imaginations aflame like so many hapless enemies and has become a symbol of an age and its people then that aircraft must undoubtably be the Supermarine Spitfire.
The Spitfire was designed by Reginald.J.Mitchell to meet a requirement by the Royal Air Force (RAF)For an eight un fighter aircraft of the cantilever monoplane type to replace the ageing Gloster Gladiator biplane and strenghten the RAF against the growing threat of the German Luftwaffe. Based upon a racing seaplane design of the Schneider Cup races of the 30's the design was revolutionary and showed the way of the future along with aircraft like the Hawker Hurricane and Messerschmitt Me-109.
The first spitfires ere delivered to RAF units near to the beginning of World War 2. During the initial phases of the war they played relatively no part except for intcepting lone raiders approaching the English coast. The short range of the Spitfire was to restrain it mainly to the role of interceptor. A task to which it was superbly suited with an excellent rate of climb so essential in the short-notice interception of enemy aircraft. It was at the climax of the Battle of France during the Dunkirk evacuation of June 1940 that the Spitfire began assert its presence in the skies above the English channel. While no Spitfire was actually based in France during this time (since they were considered too valuable) the aircraft did take part in covering the evacuation at Dunkirk. Enemy pilots soon learnt that the gracefull shilouette of a Spitfire arcing in behind meant mortal danger and the call of "Achtung Spitfire" crakling through the headset of any Luftwaffe (German Air Force)pilot was enough to make their heart race with fear.
It was during the months of July and October of 1940 however that the Spitfire was to achieve its legendary and almost mythical status. During the period known as the Battle of Britain the Spitfire was to become a symbol of victory and defiance to those who watched helplessly as hordes of enemy bombers roved arrogantly throughout the skies of England. The graceful lines of this superb aircraft inflamed the imagination of the public despite the fact that the Spitfire's plainer sister, the Hawker Hurricane, actually did most of the work. It is well documented that when the chief of the Luftwaffe asked his fighter leaders what was needed to win the Battle of Britain that one of them replied "A squadron of Spitfires".
The Spitfire maintained its stance as a formidable aircraft throughout WW2 and served in all theatres and in a variety of roles inluding ground attack and the interception of the pulse jet V-1 'doodlebug' one of the first guided missiles ever used. It was operated by most, if not all, allied airforces and continued in service with many after the end of the war.
Today the spitfire lives on, in museums, private collections and the hearts of those who flew her nto battle.












I am going to postpone the rest of this entry until I am able to add pictures and footnotes etc.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3809009

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more