Microsoft Word-'Hide White Space'

1 Conversation

This is a little thought of mine which i had while using Microsoft Word the other day. It is an example of where someone who has created a computer program was a bit dumb and hasn't though what they've done through very much. Don't get me wrong, i love using Word and they haven't made a huge mistake or anything-its just a bit amusing that's all...

You all know what Microsoft Word is, right? Well, if you open a Word documents and scroll down the page so u have the bottom half on the first page on the top half of the screne and view the top half of the bottom page on the bottom half of the screen (confused yet? I'm sorry if you are, i understand that its a bit hard to picture in your mind. Perhaps you should open a Word document to see what i mean?) then u are able to see a strip of the purpley/blue smokey coloured background dividing the two? well u can take away that strip of colour so that the two pages move and are joined together, instead, with a thick, black line. To do this you hold the mouse over the purpley section and a little white square symbol with arrors comes up. You then you click to remove the space betweent the pages. Well, if u wait for the small box with writing to come up (you know, the one that, say, will come up if u are using an art program for example and hold the mouse arror over one of the symbols such as the picture of the paint brush to see what artistic fucntion is has and then the little words come up saying 'paint brush' (which is probably something most people wouldnt do becasue its just too damn obvious what the picture means.)) Anyway! in Microsoft Word, when you hold the mouses arrow over the space, the little box with the writing that comes up says 'hide white space' which i find strange and amusing because that bluey/purple smokey coloured section would seem to be the only part (apart from whatever colour u choose to write in) that is NOT white on the entire page! and so i believe that it should say something more along the lines of 'join pages' or 'merge pages', 'divide pages with black line', 'hide background space', 'hide background space between pages', 'hide purpley/blue smokey coloured background between pages' or even more simpley just 'hide space'. but for heavens sake anything but 'hide white space'!

Yes, it wasn't properly thought through in my opinion...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A37598971

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more