Appley Bridge, North Wigan, Lancashire, UK Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Appley Bridge, North Wigan, Lancashire, UK

3 Conversations

Appley Bridge is a picturesque village within easy driving/train/bus distance from Wigan and has good links to both Manchester and Southport. If you're looking for a party, though, Appley Bridge is definitely not the place to go. It is a quiet little village trying desperately not to get sucked up by the world. This makes it the ideal place to raise a family, and as a result, this is what most of the residents are doing.

The fact that it is so popular with young families, however, means that new housing estates keep popping up, and Appley Bridge may not stay so picturesque for long.

Food and Drink

Appley Bridge includes a total of four pubs: The Wheatsheaf, The Water's Edge, The Old Station and Sam's Bar. The Wheatsheaf is mostly patronised by old men and their dogs (except on weekends when the 'pre-night out in Wigan' helps to fill it with youngsters). The Water's Edge is quite friendly, if a little quiet. The Old Station House is grim, and most of its clientele go there because they don't ask for age identification. Sam's Bar was recently refurbished with second-hand sofas and is the most popular of the pubs in Appley Bridge. On weekends it can often get quite lively.

If you are looking for somewhere to eat in Appley Bridge, your choices are rather limited. The pubs mentioned earlier serve presentable food, and The Water's Edge has the best quality meals. There is a chip shop near the top of Wood Nook road that is perfectly decent. If you don't fancy a pub lunch or chips, though, it is necessary to go further afield.

Outdoors

A canal runs through Appley Bridge (and under the bridge of the same name), where many people enjoy fishing (although at the time of writing it is believed that nothing bigger than three inches has ever been caught in it). It is also a nice place to walk or cycle along. It is the canal that links up Leeds and Liverpool, and if you have the time, the ride to either location is quite pleasant.

There is a reasonable park known as Ashurst Beacon in Appley Bridge, but it can become somewhat dirty, as it is a favourite spot in the area to take your dogs.

Possibly one of the most beautiful spots in the area is Fairy Glen. A biological heritage site, it is full of dense woodland and wildlife, with a stream running to the River Douglas. Many people go for walks through here. The stunning scenery, including waterfalls and cliff faces, and the very secluded nature of the valley make it a very popular spot for new couples.

Local Attractions

There is a quarry that is closed to the public, but it is frequented by young teenagers going for a swim. The new fences and danger signs that are put up around it mean that it remains one of the more rebelious and, therefore, popular pastimes of the adolescents.

There is also a well-designed, fairly short 18-hole golf course. Since it is located in a valley, it can get quite windy. It is for members only, except on special occasions.

Venturing Further Afield

For books or prayer, the closest library and church are situated in neighbouring Shevington, which is less than a mile away.

If you're looking for somewhere more upscale to eat, Shevington has a pizza shop, balti house and numerous pie shops. For anything else, it is a good idea to head for Standish or Wigan.

Also nearby is 'Camelot', a theme park hidden in nearby Charnock Richard. Its rides include some children's rides ('Pendragon's Plunge', 'Ghostly Galleon') and a few 'white knuckle rides', such as 'The Gauntlet' and 'Excalibur', but nothing that would atract real thrill-seekers.

There is no reason why Appley Bridge would be a popular place to visit, and so finding accommodation inside the village is hard. Places to stay in the area include Park Hall Hotel in Charnock Richard, and Kilhey Court Hotel in Standish.

How To Get There

Finding Appley Bridge is pretty straightforward. If you go by car, it is just off J27 on the M6. Trains on the Manchester/Southport route stop here as well.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A3724814

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more