Hays, Kansas

1 Conversation

Hays, Kansas is situated not too far from the center of the continental United Staes and right smack in the middle if the Rocky Mountains rain shadow.
Hays was created from a combination of a US Cavalry fort (Fort Hays), a railroad line terminus and a stop on the Oregon Trail. This town out on the high plains became the home of a lot of very famous people before they became famous. Wyatt Earp and Wild Bill Cody were both sheriffs before heading on to other things. Calamity Jane had a house in Hays and was rumored to have met one of her husbands in a bar downtown. Pretty much everybody who went west during the 1800's made a pit stop in Hays.
Today it is a pleasant little town that has the distinction of being the last stop in Interstate 70 before heading to Denver 360 miles away. It is also the home of the "Fish Within A Fish" fossil, a rare fossil that looks pretty much like the title implies.
The natives are mostly of Volga German extraction and the accent is still very prominent despite almost 200 years of culturalzation. The local drink is beer, preferably good beer. The official dance is the polka and the most common last name is "Schmidt".
There are several famous former residents and Mickey Spillane, auther of the Mike Hammer detective series, went to college there. If you are in the area a stop is highly recommended; if for no other reason than to confirm that there is life on the high plains.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A365168

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more