what's that smell on my hands (and how can i get rid of it?)

1 Conversation

okay, i really can't help you about what it is, you'll have to sort that out youself. often times, though, when cooking one mght find one's self with some stong smell on their hands.
main culprits: garlic, onions, tomatoes, hot peppers* (they are a special case, i'll deal with them after).
Depending on what soap you use, that smell may be there hours, maybe even the next morning. Two ways to get rid of it: use a stong soap, like lava (the soap, not liquid rocks). the other way is to use lemon juice and baking soda. this is the routine. put some lemon juice on your hands, then put some baking soda. rub your hands together and rinse. it should leave you smelling lovely. you can sub in lime juice, but becareful, lime juice has a chemical (i can't remember what it's called) that makes your skin suseptable to light, particularly in people who are already photosensitive. lime juice left on your skin unattended in direct sunlight can cause 1st degree burns within minutes. anyways, thats for the first foods, hot peppers are a bit different.
hot peppers leave residue on your skin which will burn yours (or anyone else's) mouth and eyes. this is particularly bad if you have an infant. to get rid of this, use milk. pour it on your hands, rub it around for a while, then rinse it off. repeat if necessary, (you'll know if it's necessary by licking your hand). if, after that, there is still a smell lingering, use the lemon/baking soda.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A359273

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more