Farmingdale, Long Island, NY, USA

1 Conversation

Farmingdale is the quintessentially average Long Island town with the average population (about thirty-thousand) and average bizarre concentration of diners, chinese places and convenience stores. There are no less than four diners and a chinese restaurant that used to be a diner. In addition to the chinese restaurant that used to be a diner, there are three more chinese restaurants and another five chinese take-out places. Also, a huge amount of convenience stores... Farmingdale alone has five 7-11s, two Tiger-Marts, and about three more convenience stores that are independantly owned. And Farmingdale is not a large town, its average size for Long Island. Also it has six pizza places, not counting Dominos because that's not pizza at all, it's more like white bread with cheap tomato sauce. Farmingdale is also home to the one 7-11 that is not run by Indians (I know it sounds like a stereotype, but it's true), it is in fact run by Koreans who are very nice people. Not that the Indians aren't nice, because they're also very pleasant. For more about good food in Farmingdale, visit Gino's Pizza on Main Street; Lucky House, Kin-Wah Kitchen and Jade Palace all of which are also on Main Street; and the 7-11 (referred to as "the one by the train tracks") which is located on, you guessed it, Main Street. Also the Tiger-Mart is very good, that's on Route 110, which isn't terribly far from Main Street.

Farmingdale also has a very good school district and due to the large population of people of Italian, Irish and Hispanic descent it's a mainly Catholic town. So much so that St. Kilian, the local Catholic church spent about 18 million dollars on church renovations to triple the size of the church so people didn't have to stand on Christmas and Easter. The result was that people started showing up to church again due to the larger size that now people have to stand at every service, not just the ones on Christmas and Easter. Meanwhile the synagogue, Methodist church, and the non-denominational church look somewhat abandoned, even on Sunday around 10AM.

Musical tastes vary, Rod Stewart and such for the older crowd and if you went to Farmingdale High School, say class of 1995, you were practically issued a copy of Nevermind by Nirvana, Mellow Gold by Beck, and The Chronic by Dr. Dre.

There are also several bars in Farmingdale which are somewhat dives. There is The Inn (formerly the Falcon's Nest, formerly the Penalty Box, formerly about 6 or 7 other places and firstly the Farmingdale Hotel in the 1890's), Granny O'Shea's (Farmingdales oldest bar...ask for John and stay away from Al, the weird guy with the Marky Ramone haircut drinking pints of cheap white zinfandel and his gross toothless girlfriend), The Library (formerly the Farmingdale Public Library, which was closed down because a bar would be a lot more lucrative; overpriced but okay) and JP's (sucks)all of which are on, yet again, Main Street. There's also a very cool rock club called the Downtown, which is on Main Street. There are several other bars not on Main Street. Also, if you're into the alternative lifestyle thing (I don't judge, I just try to be a good tour guide) try Blanche on Boundary avenue for the guys, and Simple Pleasures for the ladies which is on (I know, I know, I'm sorry) Main Street.

Main Street is very long, and has a lot more than bars, pizza places, chinese places, and convenience stores. There's also a firehouse, a post office, two law firms a ripoff cell phone store and a coffee shop that has gone out of business and reopened about three times. Also there's another bar I just remembered, The Nutty Irishman, which is new as of this writing (January 2005), but I am assured is good by a good friend who hooked up there.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3568773

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more