'Green Eggs and Ham' - Children's Book

2 Conversations

Green Eggs and Ham is a classic children's book written and illustrated by Dr. Seuss1.

The book originated with a wager between Seuss and his publisher Bennett Cerf, who wagered $50 that Seuss couldn't write a book using just 50 words after the completion of The Cat in the Hat which used 220. Despite Seuss' success, Cerf apparently never paid off on the bet.

Green Eggs and Ham is part of Seuss' 'Beginner Books' series, a collection written in a very simple vocabulary for beginning readers. As mentioned, the book contains just 50 different words, of which 49 are monosyllabic. Beginning readers love the sing-song rhyming style of the book and the constant repetition of words. At 62 pages and filled with rich Dr. Seuss illustrations, this book is a joy for children and adults alike.

The story is told in a cumulative form, with a list of circumstances that gets repeated as it gets longer. An example of this is found in the lead character's refusal to eat green eggs and ham:

Not in the dark. Not on a train.

Not in a car. Not in a tree.

I do not like them, Sam you see.

Not in a house. Not in a box.

Not with a mouse. Not with a fox.

I will not eat them here or there.

I do not like them anywhere!

The Story

There are two main characters in Green Eggs and Ham. One is named Sam-I-am who is drawn wearing a yellow tunic and a red top hat. The story's other main character is the protagonist, though he is never named, who is drawn in black and white and wears a black top hat.

Sam is filled with energy and enthusiasm as he races about. He is also much shorter than the other character. The protagonist is grumpy and simply wants to be left alone to read his newspaper as the book begins.

The story's plot centers on Sam's efforts to get his friend to try green eggs and ham. The friend refuses to eat the dish, claiming he does not like them. Sam then tries several different ways to get his friend to eat them, but without success.

The story ends when Sam's friend agrees to try green eggs and ham and discovers that he loves them. The final scene in the story shows the duo standing together with an empty platter while Sam's friend gushes Thank you! Thank you, Sam-I-am.

The reversal of roles - having a child-sized character make a grown-up eat something that he doesn't want - to appeals to many children and probably accounts for much of the book's popularity. Of course parents like the fact that, in the end, the character does try the food and winds up liking it!

Legacy

Green Eggs and Ham was first published in August 1960 and has never gone out of print, selling well over 7 million copies. It consistently ranks as Dr Seuss' most popular and is almost always near the top of surveys of popular children's books.

Green Eggs and Ham?

In the USA, green eggs and ham is a popular dish in schools around Dr Seuss' birthday, March 22.

Most recipes for 'real-life' green eggs and ham involve liberal use of green food colouring.

There is however a dish in which spinach is cooked with scrambled eggs giving them a greenish tint. So you might find 'green eggs and ham' on a breakfast menu, particularly in the southern USA.

You may think you won't like them, but as Sam-I-am says:

Try them! Try them!

And you may.

Try them and you may, I say.

1Otherwise known as Ted Geisel.2This is also the date chosen for National Literacy Day in the USA.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3491291

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more