Ideas for Small Herb Gardens

1 Conversation

By the term 'herbs' we generally mean culinary herbs which have been valued by mankind since prehistoric times for their fragrances and the flavours of their leaves, shoots and seeds.

Herbs can be selected such that they can be grown in virtually any conceivable space, not just in gardens large or small, but in window boxes, or in pots on a window sill. Some herbs can even be grown as houseplants.

Indoor Herb Gardens

For those who don't have a garden or patio area, but would like a supply of herbs just for cooking, then perhaps the easiest thing to do is to purchase small pots of individual herbs from the supermarket and keep them on a window sill in a cool room; perhaps in an attractive 'planter'. Such plants generally come with some instructions for maintenance. However, in many people's experience these have a short lifetime1, often as short as a week. In order to improve their longevity it is necessary to water them very sparingly, taking care to apply the water to the base of the plant. If the leaves are allowed to get wet, they will go mouldy and rot. The plants should only be watered when they noticeably droop, or when the surface of the soil has dried out. After a few weeks you could try repotting them into a peat-based seed compost, as they tend to get 'root-bound' in their small plastic tubs.

Mint plants can be stood in their pots in a saucer of water during the summer months. During the winter, remove the water and keep the plants rather dry. The plants should be cut regularly.

Chives will also grow happily on sunny windowsills, provided the compost is kept moist and the grassy leaves cut regularly, perhaps for use on cheese and biscuits, or in omelettes. The plants should not be allowed to flower.

Once you have developed some expertise, you can become more adventurous and try planting lettuce seeds in, say, yoghourt pots on the window sill. Once they have germinated, the seedlings can be transferred to a wide, shallow plastic container.

Space permitting, you could also try growing a miniature tomato - such as 'Tiny Tim' - in a 6 inch pot.

Outdoor Herb Gardens

As herb collections tend to get neglected during inclement weather, it is a good idea to site your herb garden as close as is practical to the house. Whenever possible, it is a good idea to grow each herb species in separate pockets, traditionally done by dividing the herb bed into separate compartments called 'knots', with a dwarf hedge of lavender or box.

When planning a herb garden, whether large or small, you should allocate around one square foot for each plant, so that, in high summer, barely an inch of bare ground can be seen between them. Some herbs, such as sweet basil, will not need all their allocated space but others, such as chives and lemon balm will. The mints, also, are very rapacious and will eventually take over the whole garden if allowed. These, therefore, should be grown in individual large flower pots, sunk to their rims in the soil. Other containers may also be used, so long as drainage holes are provided.

Large strawberry pots make very good containers if space is at a premium or if you require low maintainance gardening.

Many herbs are of Mediterranean origin and therefore need a well-drained soil and plenty of sun to bring out their full flavours and aromas. The mints, however, will grow in a fairly heavy soil.

An Easter Window Box

Kathleen Brown, a former city banker who retired to the country to raise her children and write gardening books, says that one secret is to cram as many plants as possible into any shape or size of pot.

For Easter2 she recommends filling a small window box with late spring flowers such as cowslips and edible herbs. One suggestion is to take one each of golden marjoram, Oreganum vulgare ‘Aureum’, and variegated pineapple mint, Mentha suaveolens 'Variegata'; three pots or half a strip of pink daisies, Bellis perennis 'Dresden China'; and two cowslips, Primula veris.

To plant, put some broken crocks into the bottom of the container for drainage and cover with John Innes No. 2 soil3. Plant marjoram at one end and mint at the other, both at the front edge of the window box. Plant the daisies behind the herbs and one in the centre of the box. Plant the cowslips either side of the central daisy.

Simple wooden plant boxes containing bright colourful pansies (Viola wittrockiana) interspersed with aromatic rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis) make for an attractive bohemian look.

Obviously, when designing a herb garden you should plan on incorporating herbs that reflect your own interests, whether these are culinary, medicinal/homeopathic or just for their fragrances.

Some Popular Herbs

The following list gives the main characteristics of some popular, easy to maintain, herbs.

  • Parsley- Carum petroselinum. This herb should be treated as an annual. It grows to 30-60cm in height and has tiny, yellow-green flowers, followed by small ribbed and oval seeds. The leaves are bright green with curled toothed edges. Parsley is rich in both vitamins A and C, and in iron, deficiency of which causes anaemia. It has a distinctive flavour and its bright green foliage complements a wide variety of fish, meat and vegetable dishes. Its curling leaf form* makes it a decorative edging plant and as a foil for other plants, and hence it is one of the most used of all herbs. Sadly, much of the 'parsley' used to decorate the window displays of butchers and fishmongers is, nowadays, a plastic substitute.

  • Fennel- Foeniculum vulgare. (also known as Common or Garden Fennel). Hardy perennial 1.5-2.1m high with a 45cm spread it has lots of small yellow flowers in mid-late summer, with soft green foliage. Some people consider fennel to taste of aniseed, whilst others liken it to a blend of liquorice and parsley. Eitherway, the fresh leaves go very well with fish, particularly mackerel.

  • Marjoram, Golden- Oreganum vulgare ‘Aureum’.This will grow in any soil, and requires some sun. It is a bright golden-leaved herb which sports pale pink flowers in mid-summer, which are very attractive to bees and butterflies.

  • Oregano, Greek - Origanum vulgare subspecies hirtum. Often known as wild marjoram, this hardy perennial grows to a height of 45cm and has the same spread. It has tiny white tubular flowers in clusters in summer, the grey/green leaves are highly aromatic and excellent for cooking.

  • Sage, Purple- Salvia officinalis. Hardy evergreen perennial 70cm high and the same spread it has mauve/blue flowers in summer the leaves are oval shaped and aromatic.

  • Chives- Allium schoenoprasum. Hardy perennial 30cm high it globed purple flowers all summer with green cylindrical leaves, apart from being a good cooking herb and garnish it looks good as an edging plant

  • Thyme, Lemon- Thymus x citriodorus. Evergreen hardy perennial 30cm high with 20cm spread pink flowers in summer with largeish green leaves which have a strong lemon scent.

  • Thyme, Garden-Thymus vulgaris(Common): Evergreen hardy perennial 30cm high with a 20cm spread mauve flowers in summer with thin green aromatic leaves.

  • Rosemary- Rosmarinus officinalis. Rosemary is another 'must have' for the herb garden, not so much for its culinary uses, but more for its fragrance. Rosemary is also one of the oldest herbs used by Man, having been used by the ancient Greeks who believed that it improved memory. It was introduced into Britain by the Romans. Nowadays, rosemary is among the nosegay of herbs offered to The Queen when she distributes the Maundy Money at Westminster Abbey.

    Rosemary is an evergreen hardy perennial which grows to a height of one metre and the same spread. Dependent on the variety, it has profuse, small flowers appearing from early spring to early summer and sometimes in early autumn; which range from dark blue through pale blue right down to white. Its dark green leaves are needle shaped and highly aromatic. Its name is derived from the Latin ros-marinus , meaning 'dew of the sea', and refers to its habit of liking salty sea spray. Rosemary is a fabulous herb to add to the bath to ease aching muscles after a hard day in the garden.


  • Mint, Apple
    - Mentha suaveolens. Hardy perennial 60cm-1m high with an indefinite spread mauve flowers in summer with hairy roundish leaves with apple and mint aroma it is a vigorous grower with a subtle flavour very good for cooking.

  • Mint, Pineapple- Mentha suaveolens variegata. This is a variety of apple mint, but which has attractive green and white variegated leaves, and long spikes of pale white or cream flowers.
    As its name suggests, it has a pleasant pineapple flavour and the leaves are often added to fruit cups and punches. The leaves also make a good addition to pot pourri.

  • Wild Strawberry- Fragaria vesca. Hardy perennial 15-30cm high and a 18cm spread not including the runners it has white flowers with yellow centres in spring to early summer the leaves are serrated and bright green in clusters of three.

A Few 'Don'ts'

Don't plant fennel next to dill as they cross-pollinate, and you will end up with 'fendill', losing both flavours in the process.

Likewise, do not plant dill or coriander close to wormwood as the flavours are ruined.

Mint species should be kept apart as they also have a habit of cross-pollinating and so, over time, lose their individual flavours.

Preserving Herbs

Herbs, once cut, can be preserved by either drying or freezing.

1This is because they are 'hothoused', and the upper growth is more than the root-ball can sustain for any length of time. Really they are grown for the leaves to be used in the kitchen and the plant to be then disposed of. It is best to buy rooted herbs from a reputable garden centre, where the natural balance of leaves/roots is maintained.2Seasonal Container Gardening. Kathleen Brown.(Michael Joseph Ltd, 1995).3John Innes composts were developed at the John Innes Horticultural Institution between 1934 and 1939. A set of simple formulae, based on loam, peat, coarse sand and fertiliser, were developed for sowing seeds, rooting cuttings and 'potting on'. John Innes No.2 is a 'potting on' compost.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A34001470

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more