A Conversation for Historical Re-enactment

Civil War reenactments

Post 1

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

The US Civil War is the most popular reenactment focus for reenactment enthusiasts here... not suprising, considering that there have been so few wars fought here, and our records of that one are more complete than those of the previous ones on home turf. Anyway, they get so caught up with it that the soldiers get down to the smallest details, even filling out their knapsacks with authentic gear. I read a story about a contest at a reenactment of Antietam, where the participants' clothing, equipment, and everything were highly scrutinized for historical accuracy. The grand prize: a circa 1860's wooden comb for their knapsack.


Civil War reenactments

Post 2

Saint Taco-Chako (P.S. of mixed metaphors)

I've been to a few of those, but I've never been 'in' one.

They're remarkably fun to watch.


Civil War reenactments

Post 3

Lintilla

I happen to be an avid Civil War reenactor and I do pride myself in being accurate right down to the last detail. We try to remain true to the experience as well as we can in todays modern world. Sometimes it is hard to find things that we can use, they just dont sell things like tooth powder very often any more.


Links and Stuff

Post 4

HappyDude

Why no link to http://www.nares.org/ and what about non-Uk re-enactment.

Lintilla - if you are reading this are you SK or ECWS ?


Links and Stuff

Post 5

HappyDude

Your talking ACW arn't you. Still makes my point about non-UK stuff even more valid. (sorry - there is no excuse for not reading a backlog when its only two post long).


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Historical Re-enactment

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more