Shasta (McNasty)

2 Conversations

I wasn't expecting much from Shasta McNasty when it debuted in the U.K. on Sky One. "Great," I thought, "just another ruddy U.S. sitcom." In fact, retrospectively I can't even remember why I watched that first episode. Maybe the batteries fell out of the remote, maybe there was nothing else on, maybe I plain old couldn't be bothered looking for something better. Whatever the reason, I watched. And as the half-hour show drew to a close, I realised that this was one of the more un-American American sitcoms I had seen in a while. I tuned in for the second episode the following week. By the time this episode had ended, I was hooked on the show.
<BR/>
Created by Jeff Eastin, Shasta McNasty (which would eventually become plain old Shasta, but more of that later) follows a three piece rock/hip-hop group of twenty-something long-time buddies; <b>Scott</b> (Carmine Giovinazzo), <b>Ran</b> (Dale Godboldo) and <b>Dennis</b> (Jake Busey, son of direct-to-video legend Gary). The first episode details how they came to be living in their Venice Beach loft, having paid a deposit with the advance on a record deal. Unfortunately, the record company folded soon after, the collapse attributed to the signing of too many second-rate bands. Anyway, the boys spend all their time just hanging out, maybe spying on their attractive neighbour (or even breaking into her apartment), hatching crackpot schemes to get free pizza and just generally having a good time. The only fly in their collective ointment is <b>Diana</b> (Jolie Jenkins), their next-door neighbour who shares a kitchen with the guys.
<BR/>
<b>Scott</b> is the most level-headed of the bunch, and I suppose sort of the leader. Being the most level-headed of the three isn't really saying that much though; in the first episode he breaks into his gorgeous neighbour's apartment to frame her boyfriend for cheating on her, so that he can then get over there and "comfort" her. However, he ends up trashing the apartment, killing her parrot (the parrot would later haunt him in the Hallowe'en episode) and jumping out the top-floor window when he's about to get caught. Later episodes of the series have begun to portray Scott more as a sensitive, caring guy, focussing on his burgeoning relationship with Diana.
<BR/>
<b>Ran</b>, short for Randy, is a lovable rogue type character who has a very slight criminal record, having committed a few petty crimes, grand theft autos and burglaries while he was younger. Nowadays he finds time not only to screw up his one chance at true love, but also have dumped on him all of Diana's baggage regarding her poorly-disguised affection for Scott.
<BR/>
<b>Dennis</b> is what can best be described as the Homer Simpson of the group. He's really the ultimate slacker, taking up his time with "scoping babes" and being the ringleader in many a free pizza scam. He was temporarily ecstatic to have finally found his dream job, working in a lingerie store, but even that didn't last long. Dennis can otherwise be found lounging around in Captain Vern's bar doing not very much.
<BR/>
<b>Diana</b> is the voice of reason for the bands crazy antics and provides a nemesis for Dennis. She also harbours feelings for Scott ever since he helped her out by taking her out on a "fake date" so she would be more confident trying to go out with guys.
<BR/>
The show also often features guest appearances from Verne Troyer, who shot to fame as Mini-Me in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me. He plays the imaginatively-named Vern (note the lack of an 'e'), who eventually takes over the bands favourite bar hangout, changing it's name to Captain Vern's.
<BR/>
And speaking of name changes, in one episode the band get a letter from a restaurant called Shasta McNasty, demanding they change their name. After Dennis comes up with a series of increasingly ridiculous names, it's Scott that notices that Shasta would be the perfect new name. Thus, from thereon in the band and the show became known as plain old Shasta. The name is about the only thing that's changed though, as the boys still get up to the same old tricks every week.
<BR/>
<b>Link:</b> <a href="http://www.shastamcnasty.com">shastamcnasty.com</a>

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A325504

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more