A Conversation for Save the Nails / Save the Hammers Campaign

Fence Post Liberation Front

Post 1

Technoyokel (muse of poetry)

As a past member of the FPLF I can sympathise with your aims.
Just think about poor fence posts - not only are they hit with very large hammers (called mells) they also have staples (bit bigger than office ones) hit into them with ordinary hammers. The staples hold wires to the poor posts holding them under the most terrible tension.

Pull out a fence post today - you know it makes sense.

As a dry stone waller I have no vested interest in fence post removal...Oh and the walling and sledge hammers I use on the rocks really enjoy themselves - don't you guys?
Hammers chorus *Yes we love it*

And the rocks have a smashing time...


Fence Post Liberation Front

Post 2

Ming Mang

Alright, what are you forcing those poor Hammers to say stuff like that with? Stop now!

As an ex-horse co-rider I always used electric fences which only needed to be driven into the ground very gently. After that you only need to thread the electric tape through holes.

¦M¦


Fence Post Liberation Front

Post 3

Technoyokel (muse of poetry)

Yes but what about the electric tape? What awful torture! What if the horse hits it too? (Of course hitting a dry stone wall wouldn't hurt a horse at all....ahem...).


Fence Post Liberation Front

Post 4

Ming Mang

Plastic is an insulator, so the posts don't feel a thing. Horses stay well away from the electric fence. The only ones that go near are the ones who break out, and they do this by gallopping through the tape, not harming the posts. Solid fence posts get much more abuse from horses who are intent on eating them and scratching themselves on them.
And actually, if a horse hit a dry stone wall it would probably need stitches. Which are incredibly expensive.

¦M¦


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more