A Conversation for Running With Scissors

Enlightenment

Post 1

sprout

Many thanks!

What with me being in Belgium, where pesky government laws have prevented us from benefiting from the miracle of pharmaceutical advertising, I didn't realise that all this great stuff was out there, or indeed that you could find clams on a beach (what the heck are clams by the way, sea food - that much I know, but what do they look like?)

However, since I read your article, I realised that all those people who send me spam in fact have my best interests at heart. I have fired off a few mails to these authentic medical practitioners, and am looking forward to the rapid arrival of several coloured pills, which will cure all my symptoms. (No, not those symptoms).

Yours,

sprout

smiley - biggrin


Enlightenment

Post 2

quizzical

smiley - smiley

Pharmaceutical ads belong in Post Room 101, I think. Did you know that 1/3 of the R&D money for new drugs in the US goes to advertising?! Thank your lucky stars that you live in a sensible country.

The ads that really bug me are the ones that say: 'DrugX is here!' *sappy music* 'Ask your doctor if DrugX is right for you.' *more sappy music*

At the end of the ad you don't know what DrugX is supposed to treat or if you even have the correct body bits to benefit from it. (I have visions of some sweet young thing asking her doctor for the latest treatment for impotence...) smiley - yikes


Enlightenment

Post 3

sprout

Indeed, and worse, it implies that we're all obsessed about our health so that we're frantically waiting for a new drug to come out, as if it were the latest film at the cinema.smiley - grr

That's what I have a doctor for, to memorise the names of useful medicaments in case I should get sick.

sprout


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Running With Scissors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more