A Conversation for Talking Point: Has Reality TV Gone Too Far?

It's all about human nature

Post 1

conman77

Reality TV? Why is a scripted situation considered reality? I suppose the popularity of reality TV originates from our (human) need to connect with another, even as an observer. As they say in America, a tragedy/ accident is the cheapest show in Vegas.

When I was younger, I've always wondered what the fascination was with soap operas. Older, I now know that people are drawn to human dramas, which is why people are more likely to stop at stare (for a while at least) at one person beating another, rather than to go in to break them up, or call the cops.

So we do have the need to see human emotions- the ugly anger, the malicious jealousy, the heartening joy, the overwhelming sorrow. This connects us to the human world. Reality TV fulfills this. Else, we'll be back watching fish mingling within the tank, or a kettle coming to boil on the stove.


Key: Complain about this post

It's all about human nature

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more