Infinite Universe, Infinite Worlds, Infinite Possibilites

1 Conversation

So heres my thought:

If the universe is infinitely expanding, then every single possible scenario that you can imagine is a reality. It's just a matter of when and where.

An infinitely expanding universe creates an infinite number of planets, worlds etc., so that a NEVER ENDING expansion would have to account for every single possible scenario, or else it would not truly be infinite. So this means that somewhere out there in the universe, then, now, and a million years in the future, exists a planet EXACTLY like earth, with the EXACT same countries, religions, history, culture, languages, and yes, the EXACT same people - the only difference being that on one secluded beach on a secluded island in the South Atlantic is an extra grain of sand. And that's it. So somewhere out in the universe there is another you on an identical planet reading this very same entry, thinking the same thoughts and tapping to the same rhythm. Perhaps the only difference between their earth and ours is that in his entire lifetime, their Winston Churchhill took one extra breath before he died. So following this logic, not only are there an infinite number of worlds somewhere in the universe, there are also an infinite number of "you's" and earth's that are for all intents and purposes, exactly like our own. Still with me? I hope so, because this is where it gets interesting. So if there exists an infinite number of "you's" living and interacting in a world just like our own, then somewhere out there exists a "you" that is living your perfect life - a place where your deepest, most intense and satisfying fantasies are a reality, each and every day. So if we accept this possibility as true, then we must also accept the reality that somewhere out there is a world exactly like our own that another "you" is living in whose life has been identical to yours up to this point. The only difference - they wake up tomorrow morning to find that their world has been transformed into their perfect, most desirable fantasy. Accepting this as true, this means that any day you could wake up to find that your perfect life has been realized.

Now one might stumble upon this truth and lament about how awful their luck is that they were not one of the fortunate few to live the "perfect life," sending their life into a downward spiral of misery and despair. But what they would be overlooking, is the flip side to this reality - that they have actually been extremely fortunate to have not been born into a nazi death camp, or into a world where the ground is fire, and every minute of their existence is a literal hell.

I realize of course that this theory (if you accept it as true) could be used as justification for an inumerable number of actions or sentiments, improving one's life for better, or for worse. The important thing to remember is that while it is very possible for your life to become a utopia at any moment, it is atleast equally possible that it will not, and so it is hardly a reason to stop fighting to improve your world, and the worlds of others.


- One last note -

One might, in accepting this theory as true, feel discouraged when contemplating the odds of which they are the "you" that gets to lead the perfect life. But just as there is an almost infinite number of "yous" living in an earth just like this one, where nothing truly extraordinary has or ever will happen, there is also an almost infinite number of "yous" who get to live their fantasies, the only difference between their worlds is a grain of sand here, or a misspelt word there. Try to realize it in terms of the sheer number of "perfect" worlds that exist for "you".


- The REAL last note -

I realize of course that time is an issue, because these perfect worlds may have not been created yet, or have perhaps already completed their cycle of existence.


- The ACTUAL REAL last note -

Also, this theory accounts for the existence of worlds such as the one in planet of the apes, or one made out of solid gold (hitchhikers anyone?), or, well, anything. Anything and more.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A30959698

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more