Did I Leave The Iron On?

0 Conversations

Did I Leave The Iron On? by Greebo T Cat

Several A/K/A Random's 'sporting blues'

AmSports is at its wonderous time, as the baseball heads into their playoffs, the AmFoot hits the quarter pole in their regular season, the basketball is just beginning, and the hockey... well, the hockey is still stalling, unable to reach a compromise agreement to split the loot. (True pirates know a bit about THAT situation, to be sure. 'Buried treasure', indeed!)

So we have baseball, where the small but persistent Minnesota Twins go into the fabled Yanker Stadium lair of the richest team here across the pond in the first round, with the Atlanta Braves hosting the (surprise!) Houston Astros, Boston's Red Sox at the California Angels, and Los Angeles' Dodgers at the 104-win St Louis Cardinals. By the weekend, each series will have two games decided, so the games will be in Minnesota (under their dome, some of the weirdest baseball you'll ever see, what with football markings on the field and the baseball disappearing at the top of the domed stadium), in Boston's historic Fenway Park, down in Houston and out in LA, probably the best ballyard of them all.

The initial series is best-of-five, so I'll be hard-pressed next week just to get the final results before deadline, as the final games look to be Monday night, and I SO hate to peeve off my excellent, diligent and trusting editors, who are moving pianos, fish tanks and making sure the doughnuts are distributed in a timely manner. Ah well, such is life, the universe and everything.

Mooving over to football (whoops, that was last week, wasn't it? My baaaaad, again. Please don't cluck) this weekend doesn't really have many 'classic' matchups, but the St Louis Rams at unbeaten Seattle Seahawks would be one to catch late Sunday, but the early game to see HAS to be the beloved Cleveland Browns travelling to meet the Pittsburgh Squealers at Heinz Field, where a giant illuminated bottle of ketchup rises high above the cityscape.

I mean, this is a giant, 100-foot bottle of ketchup, tilted so as to appear to be drowning fans in the upper deck, should it be real. This is one of the classic rivalry series between the brown-and-orange of Cleveland, which city fought to get its team back, and that black-and-gold team just a four-hour drive away, and that ketchup may as well be blood.

Let's put it this way - I wore my brown-and-orange down NEAR Pittsburgh once and was saved only by the fact I was reading a baseball book (plus she didn't want me driving back here bleeding in her sister's van.)

So that's the quick-and-easy version of this week's Article Submission and, as always, all replies will be sent to an underwater post office box in Florida, where they will promptly be submerged and rendered unreadable. Over and out.

Did I Leave The Iron On? Archive

Master B

with Several a.k.a. Random 
smiley - vampiresmiley - musicalnote

07.10.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3091682

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more