A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 181

marvthegrate LtG KEA

We have it for testing configs in our lab. It is most certainly not live but we can hack it together with a switch to act as a telco cloud for testing purposes. So I guess you can omit that from my ways on to the internet here, but I can still play with it


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 182

Chris Tonks

You used to do what my dad does, Phil? It's most certainly ver interesting, from what I gathered at work experience. smiley - smiley

And let no one think I didn't prepare for this ADSL thing - I've got protection. smiley - winkeye

And I understand about hacking too. In fact, a lot of the sites I know also stress that 'hacking' is not a word to be used for people with scripts or such like ('script kiddies' or something like that).

But I will admit that I would never get into someone's system, even for a look an no harm done. I have enough interesting stuff on my own PC. smiley - winkeye
*Hopes that didn't sound like an invitation to hack him...*


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 183

Phil

If that's what your dad does Chris, then yes I guess so. I don't do it any more though - if I had too I'm sure I could drag the knowlege back again smiley - bigeyes

I'm thinking that I'll do protection on the cheap when I do go broadband at home, an OpenBSD firewall. Free and secure (do you know of many other OSs that you can secure the swap space cryptographically?smiley - winkeye)


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 184

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I want to figure out *nix before I go to the *bsd's as I am still an idiot when it comes to the *nix command line. But that is my plan. I have the box all but built, an old celeron 533 and a 4 gig hdd. Should be more than enough, if I can find support for the video card and X.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 185

marvthegrate LtG KEA

The point of that post was that I intend to use OpenBSD with firewalling once I learn how to use the CLI. But if I can get my hands on a PIX cheap I would use that instead.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 186

Phil

I would say follow the lead provided by Nike's ad agency and Just Do It Marv, but realise that it isn't quite so easy. What's the video hardware you're wanting to run?


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 187

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I have a Diamond Riva TnT2 video card. I know that newer xservers can support it but I have had nothing but bad luck so far getting it to install. My installation media is to blame as much as anything too. Would love to chat offsite if you have any helpfull hints.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 188

Afgncaap5

[Affy]


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 189

Phil

Hmm, that card should work but knowing how all the things that should work that don't quite... smiley - winkeye It's certainly in the list for Xfree86 3.3.6 and 4.0.3 I'm sure that quite a few of the guys at work have tnt2 based cards as well.
Drop me a line if you want any help.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 190

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I think I might. Remember that in this topic I am the Luser, but I admit it.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 191

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

A late rising hungover loser stumbles in. Morning (just) all.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 192

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Good Day Loony! I am finnishing out my shoft with another hour and three quarters. I am trying to decide why I should not LART a co worker for annoying me after I told him to get bent.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 193

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Go for it Marv. I used to find that pinning brightly-coloured pegs to the back of people's clothing was an excellent rage-reliever.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 194

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Hmmm, I wonder if they can take official action against me if I ambush him after work with a paintball gun and some paint grenades. I think that he would look good as a rainbow and then he might take the hint.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 195

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Geeks at play! smiley - biggrin

How do you feel about the way some have distinguished between hacking (skilled deconstruction of software for valid purposes) and cracking (software vandalism)?

I accepted a last-minute appointment this afternoon and let a realtor and client in to see the house at just about dinner time. The place was clean. The realtor had never seen automatic closet lights before (same principle as fridge lights) and cooed and ahhed throughout the tour. The lady client was much more hard-headed -- I liked her.

And now, two days before she's due to be stowed in kennel, my dobie is looking ill. I've scheduled her appointment for Friday. smiley - sadface

anticoffee for me, Matina -- I need to get off this up-till-3 am lark.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 196

soeasilyamused, or sea

*sea smiles gratefully at matina and Gw7en as she stuffs the cinnamon bun in her mouth. boss smash looks at her, sea grins a cinnamon-y smile. boss shakes his head and leans back in the chair. boss crush seems to be asleep, and soon smash is too. sea grabs the keys off smash's belt and removes her shackles and handcuffs*

[sea] GEEZ, i NEVER thought they'd finally go to sleep! as you can all tell, a little emprisonment won't stop me... *grin* i doped their coffee this morning, but i guess i didn't use enough if it took this long to take effect.

*sea sneaks over to another couch and curls up comfortably, rubbing sore wrists and ankles*

[sea] at least i didn't get in trouble at school on top of the punishment my parents gave me. besides, my parents are partially punishing themselves, anyway, since they have to pick me up every night this week at 10:30pm at school because of the play. *evil grin* i doubt they will keep up the sentence... had a big fight with my friend today, but it doesn't matter because i was right.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 197

Sol

[Sol, exhausted from the backlog]


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 198

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I distinguish between hacking and cracking as follows: Hackers explore systems, that means that they become experts in how something, anything works. Crackers are malicious and want to violate security. Few crackers posess the skills required to become an expert at anything. That is not to say that all cracks are not hacks. I will post relevant links at The Other Place to show what I mean.

Marv (Hacker and proud of it, who also never has violated the law by cracking)


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 199

Bald Bloke

Marv

Good links smiley - smiley

I've never had any formal training in any software, what I know is what I've picked up along the way.
Also the bits I write are almost always in the quick and dirty fix department.

(it doen't look very pretty but it gets the job done for the time being and the data can be reused later when someone else has the time to write a proper application)


So I reckon I'm closest to the original definition "One who makes furiture with an axe"

Although I would normally have described myself as a bodger.
Originally "a woodworker who made turned items as chair legs, spindles etc on site in the woods"

As such the Bodger and the Hacker were probly next door neighbours out in the woods smiley - smiley


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 200

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

[Amy]


Key: Complain about this post