A Conversation for North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Peer Review: A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 1

Mr Glover Lover

Entry: North Staffordshire Oatcakes - A3034612
Author: MrGloverLover - U844973

North Staffordshire Oatcakes are fantastic....


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 2

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

How about more description of what they look like/how they taste; and at least a recipe. Where is a good place to purchase/eat them etc etc.

smiley - biggrin


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 3

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Hi MrGloverLover!

Welcome to h2g2. An <./>ACE</.> should drop by over the next day or so to give you the official welcome and leave you some tips and hints on how h2g2 works. Meanwhile the <./>dontpanic-tour</.> is very useful smiley - ok

The Edited Guide is made up from entries meet the <./>writing-guidelines</.>. It is made up from entries that are factual and provide a 'guide to earth'. There actually is one already on NSO at A426016 which gives you a good idea of what is expected.

Only one entry about a subject is accepted for the guide. So to remove this from peer review click on the X or 'remove' that you will see next to the entry on the <./>peerreview</.> listing.

However there are many entries that don't meet the guidelines automatically available via the <./>search</.> engine, which can be fiction, quirky or outright crazy and written just for fun. In fact every entry created can be found that way!

I hope you enjoy the site!

smiley - cheers

Mort


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 4

Mr Glover Lover

Hi,

To be honest I don't know the recipe! They just taste great and can be found in most branches of Morrisons in the Staffs. area. They look like pancakes and are just as versatile, but they tend to be used with savoury fillings.smiley - tongueout


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 5

EvilTwin

OATCAKE RECIPE

There are many recipes that have been closely guarded for over 100 years. If you want the real thing it is probably best to still buy them from one of the many shops that churn out hundreds each day. However if you now live away from the Potteries but still get oatcake cravings then here is a foolproof method to make your own.

INGREDIENTS:
225g oatmeal
225g wholewheat flour
1tsp salt
15g yeast
450ml warm milk
450ml warm water
1tsp sugar
This amount should make 12 oatcakes. The mixture can be left in a fridge overnight and used the next day if required.

METHOD:
1. Mix the water and milk together.
2. Mix the salt to the flour and oatmeal in a large bowl.
3. Dissolve the yeast with a little warm liquid and add the sugar. Allow the mixture to become frothy.
4. Mix the dry ingredients with the yeast liquid to make a batter adding the remainder of the warm liquid.
5. Cover the batter with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place for about an hour.
6. pour out enough batter on a well-greased griddle to make an oatcake of about 22cm. The surface will be covered in holes as it cooks. Flip the oatcake after 2-3 minutes when the top side has a dry appearance and the underneath is a golden brown colour and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

TIP:
Try to use the heaviest frying pan available as this will keep the heat constant which is best for making oatcakes. Great served with fried bacon, mushrooms and cheese as a savoury snack or with butter and jam as a sweet treat.

Oatcakes can be frozen and a microwave is the ideal method of defrosting and reheating them.


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 6

Number Six

Hello - I was born in Stoke, and thought I'd pop in and have a look at this one. I like 'em with a sausage and melted cheese inside, myself...

But I'm afraid there's already an Edited Guide entry on Oatcakes (A426016) so if you want yours to be included as part of the Edited Guide you'd have to improve upon that and submit it to the UpdateForum. But it's still part of the unedited Guide as it stands and none the worse for that.

smiley - mod


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 7

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Given the above, as well as the authors absence, should we consider moving this thread back to the entry?

smiley - mouse


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 8

GreyDesk

Yes, I'll put it in my e-mail.


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 9

Number Six

EvilTwin's recipe, on the other hand, would make an excellent basis for an EG entry.

smiley - mod


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 10

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Unfortunately, that's not EvilTwin's recipe. That entire post was copied and pasted from elsewhere on the web; it was originally published in a newspaper, I believe.

I've tried yikesing it for copyright violation before, but it hasn't gone through. But I certainly wouldn't advise using it as the basis of an EG entry.

smiley - erm


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 11

Number Six

Fair enough smiley - ok

And there is a recipe in the EG entry, after all.

smiley - mod


A3034612 - North Staffordshire Oatcakes

Post 12

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Will add to current list as has been recommended and seconded as a move already.

And I will continue to add it to lists until it gets shifted smiley - evilgrinsmiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post