A Conversation for The Romans in Britain: The Army

No Subject

Post 1

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Hi again Elentari,

RTegret I've only skimmed this Entry at this stage - interesting and well written.

A couple of points I noticed in passing: (i) shouldn't 'romanising' start with a capital letter? (ii) Under 'Equipment' then 'Legionaries', "Connolly thinks that Roman shield...." > shields.

As an aside, regarding Auxiliaries. I've always been intrigued by one of the famous ghost stories from York. This was that archaeologists/historians and certainly the general public were largely unaware that the Roman Army made use of conscripts/auxiliaries, until this woman reported that she had seen the 'ghosts' of a mounted unit going through a pub (I think). Because the ground level had risen in the intervening centuries, the lower limbs etc were not visible. Anyway, the lady reported that the ranks contained coloured people ansd they were nowhere near as smartly dressed and well-equipped as the popular preception of the Roman soldier was at the time. I understand that it was several years after this 'sighting' that archaeoligal evidence was obtained which showed the presence of soldiers of this type.

smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more