The Yorkshire Ripper

0 Conversations

Sutcliffe was born in Bingley june 2 1946, near Bradford in the West Riding of Yorkshire, the son of a mill-worker. Reportedly a loner at school, he left formal education at the age of fifteen and took a series of menial jobs, including a stint as a grave-digger in the 1960s. Sutcliffe worked at the factory of Baird's TV between November 1971 and April 1973 on the packaging line. He left when they asked him to go on the road as a salesman. Straight after leaving Baird's, he worked nightshifts at the Britannia works of Anderton International between April 1973 and February 1975 when he took his redundancy. He used the pay-off to gain an HGV licence on 2 June 1975, and began working as a driver on 29 September of that year, driving HGVs for a tyre firm. However, he was sacked for poor time-keeping on 5 March 1976. He remained unemployed until October 1976, when he found another job as an HGV driver for T & WH Clark (Holdings Ltd) on the Canal Road Industrial Estate, between Shipley and Bradford.

He first met Sonia Szurma on St. Valentine's Day 1967, and they married on 10 August 1974. His wife suffered a number of miscarriages, and eventually the couple were informed that she would not be able to have children. Shortly after this, his wife returned to a teacher-training course. When she completed the course in 1977 and began teaching, the couple used the extra money to buy their first house, in Heaton, Bradford, where he moved on 26 September 1977.

Criminal record

Victims
Sutcliffe was convicted of murdering the following 13 victims:

Date Name of victim Age at death Body found Location on map
30 October 1975 Wilma McCann 28 Prince Phillip Playing Fields, Leeds [1]
20 January 1976 Emily Jackson 42 Manor Street, Leeds [2]
5 February 1977 Irene Richardson 28 Roundhay Park, Leeds [3]
23 April 1977 Patricia Atkinson 32 Flat 3, 9 Oak Avenue, Bradford [4]
26 June 1977 Jayne MacDonald 16 Adventure playground, Reginald Street, Leeds [5]
1 October 1977 Jean Jordan 20 Allotments next to Southern Cemetery, Manchester [6]
21 January 1978 Yvonne Pearson 21 Under a disused sofa on waste ground off Arthington Street, Bradford [7]
31 January 1978 Helen Rytka 18 Timber yard in Great Northern Street, Huddersfield [8]
16 May 1978 Vera Millward 40 Grounds of Manchester Royal Infirmary [9]
4 April 1979 Josephine Whitaker 19 Savile Park, Halifax [10]
2 September 1979 Barbara Leach 20 Back of 13 Ashgrove, Bradford [11]
20 August 1980 Marguerite Walls 47 Garden of a house called "Claremont", New Street, Farsley, Leeds [12]
17 November 1980 Jacqueline Hill 20 Waste ground off Alma Road, Headingley, Leeds [13]


1975
The first known assault by Sutcliffe was in Keighley on the night of 5 July 1975. He attacked Anna Rogulskyj (aged 36), who was walking alone, striking her unconscious with a ball-pein hammer and slashing her stomach with a knife. Disturbed by a neighbour, he left without killing her. Anna Rogulskyj survived after extensive medical attention. Later she would meet Sutcliffe's father, encouraging him to probe his fingers into the two indentations that still remain in the back of her head. Sutcliffe attacked Olive Smelt (aged 46) in Halifax in August with the same MO and again was disturbed and left his victim badly injured. Later on 27 August he attacked Tracy Browne (aged 14) in Silsden. She was struck from behind and hit on the head five times while walking in a country lane. Sutcliffe was not convicted of this attack, but later confessed to it in 1992.

His next victim, Wilma McCann of Leeds (aged 28), from the Chapeltown district of Leeds, a mother of four, was killed on 30 October. Sutcliffe struck her twice with a hammer before stabbing her fifteen times. An extensive inquiry, involving 150 police officers and 11,000 interviews, did not uncover Sutcliffe.


1976
He did not kill again until January 1976, stabbing Emily Jackson (aged 42) 51 times in Leeds.

He attacked Marcella Claxton (aged 20), a prostitute, in Roundhay Park in Leeds on 9 May. He struck her with a hammer and left her with 25 stab wounds.


1977
Sutcliffe's next murder took place on 5 February 1977. He attacked Irene Richardson (aged 28), another Chapeltown prostitute, in Roundhay Park, killing her with a series of weighty hammer blows, followed by a post-mortem stabbing. Tyre tracks left near the murder scene resulted in an enormous list of possible suspect vehicles.

Two months later, on 23 April 1977 he killed Patricia "Tina" Atkinson (aged 32), a Bradford prostitute, at her flat, where police found a bootprint on the bedclothes. After another two months, Sutcliffe committed another vicious murder in Chapeltown; his youngest victim, Jayne MacDonald (aged 16), on 25 June, was not a prostitute, and in the public perception, her death showed that every woman was a potential victim. Sutcliffe seriously assaulted Maureen Long (aged 42) in Bradford in July; interrupted, he left her for dead. A witness misidentified the make of his car; over 300 police officers working the case amassed 12,500 statements and checked thousands of cars, without result.

Sutcliffe killed a Manchester prostitute, Jean Jordan (aged 20) on 9 October 1977. Her body was not found for ten days, but had obviously been moved several days after death. The recovery of her handbag offered a valuable piece of evidence. Sutcliffe had given the woman £5. The note was new and was traced to branches of the Midland Bank in Shipley and Bingley. Extensive replication by police of a how a branch worked over a three-week period resulted in pinning down the note supplied to one of 8,000 local employees as part of their wages. Over three months, the police interviewed 5,000 men, including Sutcliffe, but did not connect him to the crime. Sutcliffe had known the note could expose him: he had returned to the body a week after the killing, and, unable to find the handbag, had tried to remove Jordan's head with a broken pane of glass and a hacksaw, in an attempt to disguise that Jordan's death was a result of a Ripper attack, and therefore distract the police. Chillingly, he did this after hosting a family party at his new home. Jordan's body was discovered by Bruce Jones, who later went on to play the part of Les Battersby-Brown in the long-running TV soap opera Coronation Street. At the time of the death, Bruce was a local dairy worker. He had an allotment on the adjoining land to where the body was found, and had been looking for disused housebricks when he made the discovery.

Sutcliffe attacked another Leeds prostitute, Marilyn Moore (aged 25) on 14 December. She survived, and provided police with a description of her attacker. Tyre tracks found at the scene matched those from an earlier attack.


1978
Despite this, the police withdrew their intensive search for the person who received the £5 note in January 1978. Sutcliffe was interviewed about the £5 note, but not investigated further; he would ultimately be contacted, and disregarded, by the Ripper Squad many more times. In that month, Sutcliffe killed again, attacking a Bradford prostitute, Yvonne Pearson (aged 21), this time hiding the body under a discarded sofa so that it was not found until March. He killed a Huddersfield prostitute, Helen Rytka (aged 18), on the night of 31 January; her body was uncovered three days later.

After a two-month hiatus Sutcliffe killed again, attacking Vera Millward (aged 40) in the car park of Manchester Royal Infirmary on 16 May.

1979
Almost a year passed before he struck again; during this time his mother died on 8 November. On 4 April 1979, he killed Josephine Whitaker (aged 19), a bank clerk, in Halifax; he assaulted her on Savile Park Moor as she was walking home. Despite new forensic clues, the police efforts were diverted for several months into a fruitless search for a man with a Wearside accent, which was pinned down to the Castletown area of Sunderland, following a hoax tape message taunting Superintendent George Oldfield, who was leading the search. The same hoaxer (dubbed "Wearside Jack") had sent two letters to the police boasting of his crimes in 1978 signed "Jack The Ripper" and claimed a murder (that of 26-year-old Joan Harrison) in Preston in November 1975. On 20 October 2005, John Humble, an unemployed alcoholic and long-time resident of the Ford Estate area of Sunderland (a mile away from Castletown), was charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice in response to the sending of the hoax letters and tape, and remanded in custody. On March 21, 2006 he was sentenced to eight years in prison for perverting the course of justice. It is expected that he will also be questioned in connection with the Harrison murder.

Sutcliffe killed Barbara Leach (aged 20) in September. Leach was a Bradford student murdered near the university behind her lodgings in Back Ash Grove — it was his sixteenth attack. Yet again the murder of a woman who was not a prostitute alarmed the public and prompted an expensive publicity campaign, which unfortunately pushed the Wearside connection. Even with this false lead, Sutcliffe was re-interviewed on at least two occasions in 1979, but despite matching several forensic clues and being on the list of just 300 names in connection with the £5 note, he was not strongly suspected. In total, Sutcliffe was interviewed by the police on nine occasions.


1980
In April 1980 he was arrested for drink driving. While awaiting trial on this charge he killed two more women, Marguerite Walls (aged 47) on the night of 20 August and Jacqueline Hill (aged 20), a student at the University of Leeds, on the night of 17 November. He also attacked two other women who survived — Upadhya Bandara (aged 34) in Leeds on 24 September and Theresa Sykes (aged 16) in Huddersfield on the night of 5 November. Following the November murder, on 25 November one of Sutcliffe's friends reported him to the police as a suspect; this information vanished into the enormous volumes already created. Sutcliffe's friend assumed that they had investigated him and cleared him, so he thought no more about it afterwards.


1981 arrest and trial
On 2 January 1981 he was stopped by the police with prostitute Olivia Reivers (aged 24) in the driveway of Light Trades House, Melbourne Avenue, Broomhill, Sheffield; he was arrested, on grounds of having fitted his car with false number plates. He was transferred to Dewsbury Police Station in connection with this offence. At Dewsbury he was questioned in relation to the Yorkshire Ripper case, as he matched so many of the physical characteristics known. The discovery the next day of a knife, hammer and rope he had disposed of at the time and place of his arrest along Melbourne Avenue (he used the pretext of needing to urinate to absent himself briefly from the arresting officers) increased police interest, and they obtained a search warrant for his home at 6 Garden Lane in the Heaton district of Bradford and brought his wife in for questioning.

When Sutcliffe was stripped of his clothing at the police station, he was discovered to be wearing a V-neck sweater under his trousers; the arms had been pulled over his legs, so that the V-neck exposed his groin; the elbows were padded to protect his knees as, presumably, he knelt over his victims' corpses. The sexual implications of this outfit were held to be obvious, but this fact was not communicated to the public until disclosure in a book by writer Michael Bilton, published in 2003, called Wicked Beyond Belief: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper.

After two days of intensive questioning, he suddenly, on the afternoon of 4 January 1981 declared he was the Ripper and, over the next day, calmly described his many attacks, only weeks later claiming to have been told by God to murder the women. He was charged on 6 January and went to trial in May. The basis of his defence was his claim that he was the tool of God's will. The only emotion he displayed was when he talked about the murder of Jayne MacDonald and when he was questioned about the murder of Joan Harrison, which he vehemently denied.

At his trial, Sutcliffe pleaded not guilty to thirteen counts of murder, but guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility. He also pleaded guilty to seven counts of attempted murder. On the basis of four psychiatrists' reports diagnosing paranoid schizophrenia, the prosecution proposed accepting the plea. However, the trial judge, Mr Justice Boreham, demanded an unusually detailed explanation of the prosecution reasoning, and after a two-hour representation by the Attorney-General Sir Michael Havers, a ninety-minute lunch break and a further forty minutes of legal discussion, he rejected the diminished responsibility plea, insisting that the case should be dealt with by a jury. The trial proper was set to commence on 5 May 1981. (An account of the trial is available at The Yorkshire Ripper Web Site.)

His trial lasted two weeks; he was found guilty of thirteen counts of murder and was sentenced to life imprisonment. The trial judge spoke of his belief that Sutcliffe was beyond redemption and hoped that he would never leave prison, and recommended that a minimum term of 30 years should be served before parole could be even considered. This recommendation meant that Sutcliffe was unlikely to be freed until at least 2011 and the age of 65.

After his trial, Sutcliffe admitted two further attacks to detectives. It was decided at the time however that prosecution for these offences was "not in the public interest". West Yorkshire Police have made it clear that the female victims wish to remain anonym Prison and Broadmoor Hospital
He began his sentence at HMP Parkhurst on May 22, 1981. Despite being found sane at his trial (being found sane in English law is not the same as saying one does not suffer from a serious mental illness), he was soon diagnosed as suffering from schizophrenia. Attempts to send him to a secure psychiatric unit were initially blocked. During his time at Parkhurst he was seriously assaulted for the first time. The attack was carried out by James Costello, a 35-year-old career criminal from Glasgow with several convictions for violence. On January 10, 1983 he followed Sutcliffe into the recess of F2, the hospital wing at Parkhurst Prison. He plunged a broken coffee jar twice into the left side of Sutcliffe's face, creating four separate wounds requiring a total of 30 stitches. In March 1984 Sutcliffe was finally sent to Broadmoor Hospital, under section 47 of the Mental Health Act 1983.

His wife Sonia obtained a separation from him in 1982 and a final divorce in April 1994; she went on to contest and win nine libel cases against various publications, most notably Private Eye.

On February 23, 1996 Sutcliffe was attacked in his private room in the Henley Ward of Broadmoor Hospital. Paul Wilson, a convicted robber, asked to borrow a video cassette before attempting to strangle Sutcliffe with the flex from a pair of stereo headphones. Two other murderers, Kenneth Erskine, the Stockwell Strangler, and Jamie Devitt, intervened upon hearing Sutcliffe's screams.

After an attack by fellow inmate Ian Kay on 10 March 1997 with a pen, Sutcliffe lost vision in his left eye, and his right eye was severely damaged.[3] Kay admitted attempted murder and was ordered to be detained in a secure mental hospital without time limit.

Despite being given a whole life tariff by successive Home Secretaries, Sutcliffe could still be released from custody if the parole board decides that he is no longer a danger to the public. He was originally sentenced to a minimum of 30 years, so he could be released from prison in 2011 because the system under which his tariff was increased has since been declared illegal by the European Court of Human Rights and also the High Court. The main point of conflict is that the continued detention of Sutcliffe and other life prisoners is currently controlled by a politician — the Home Secretary — rather than by a member of the judiciary. A European Court of Justice hearing which opened in February 2007 is reviewing whether lifelong imprisonment is a violation of human rights, and if lifelong imprisonment is outlawed, then this could also bring Sutcliffe closer to release.

Surpisingly, Sutcliffe was not on a Home Office list of more than 30 murderers who had been told by various judges and politicians that they should never be released.

In 2003 reports surfaced that Sutcliffe had developed diabetes.

On 17 January 2005, Sutcliffe was allowed to visit the site of his father's ashes, his father having died from cancer the year before. The decision to allow the temporary release was initiated by David Blunkett and later ratified by Charles Clarke when he took over the role as Home Secretary. Sutcliffe was accompanied by four members of the hospital staff. Despite the passage of 25 years since the Ripper murders, Sutcliffe's visit was still the focus of front-page tabloid headlines.


Controversy
West Yorkshire Police were criticised for being inadequately prepared for an investigation on this scale. The case was one of the largest ever investigations by a UK police force and pre-dated the use of computers in criminal cases. The information on suspects was stored on hand-written index cards. Aside from difficulties in storing and accessing such a bulk of paperwork (the floor of the incident room had to be reinforced to cope with the weight of paperwork), it was difficult for officers to overcome the information overload of such a large manual system. Sutcliffe was interviewed nine times, but all information the police had about the case was stored in paper form, making cross referencing a difficult task. This fact was compounded by the television appeal for information, which generated thousands more documents to process. The police were also criticised for being too focused on the Wearside tape and letters, using them as a point of elimination rather than as a line of enquiry, which allowed Sutcliffe to remain at large for longer, as he did not fit the profile of the sender of the tape or letters. The official response to these problems ultimately led to the implementation of the forerunner of HOLMES 1 (the Home Office Large Major Enquiry System) Computer system, firstly through the development of MICA (Major Incident Computer Application) which was developed between West Yorkshire Police and ISIS Computer Services.


The Byford Report
On June 1, 2006 the (UK) Home Office released Inspector of Constabulary, Sir Lawrence Byford's 1981 report of an official inquiry into the Ripper case. Part of the document entitled "Description of suspects, photofits and other assaults" remains censored by the Home Office. Also partly censored was a section on Sutcliffe’s "immediate associates".

Referring to the period between 1969 — when Sutcliffe first came to the attention of police — and 1975, the year of the murder of Wilma McCann, the report states: "There is a curious and unexplained lull in Sutcliffe's criminal activities and there is the possibility that he carried out other attacks on prostitutes and unaccompanied women during that period." In 1969 Sutcliffe, described in the Byford Report as an "otherwise unremarkable young man", came to the notice of police on two occasions in connection with incidents involving prostitutes. The report said that it was clear he had on at least one occasion attacked a Bradford prostitute with a cosh. Also in 1969 he was arrested in the red light district of the city in possession of a hammer. However, rather than believing Sutcliffe might use the hammer as an offensive weapon, the arresting officers assumed he was a burglar and he was charged with "going equipped for stealing."

Sir Lawrence's report states: "We feel it is highly improbable that the crimes in respect of which Sutcliffe has been charged and convicted are the only ones attributable to him. This feeling is reinforced by examining the details of a number of assaults on women since 1969 which, in some ways, clearly fall into the established pattern of Sutcliffe’s overall modus-operandi. I hasten to add that I feel sure that the senior police officers in the areas concerned are also mindful of this possibility but, in order to ensure full account is taken of all the information available, I have arranged for an effective liaison to take place." Police identified a number of attacks which matched Sutcliffe's modus operandi and tried to question the killer, but he was never charged with other crimes.

The Byford Report’s major findings were contained in a summary published by the then Home Secretary, William Whitelaw, but this is the first time precise details of the bungled police investigation have been disclosed. Sir Lawrence described delays in following up vital tip-offs from Trevor Birdsall, an associate of Sutcliffe’s since 1966. On November 25, 1980, Birdsall sent an anonymous letter to police, the text of which ran as follows:

“ I have good reason to now [ the man you are looking for in the Ripper case. This man as dealings with prostitutes and always had a thing about them… His name and address is Peter Sutcliffe, 6 Garden Lane, Heaton, Bradford. Works for Clarke's Transport, Shipley. ”

This letter was marked "Priority No 1". An index card was created on the basis of the letter and a policewoman found Sutcliffe already had three existing index cards in the records. But "for some inexplicable reason", said the Byford Report, the papers remained in a filing tray in the incident room until the murderer’s arrest on January 2 the following year.

Birdsall visited Bradford Police Station the day after sending the letter to repeat his misgivings about Sutcliffe; he added the information that he had been with Sutcliffe when Sutcliffe got out of a car to pursue a woman with whom he had had a bar room dispute in Halifax on August 16, 1975. This was the date and place of the Olive Smelt attack. A report compiled on this visit was lost, despite a "comprehensive search" which took place after Sutcliffe’s arrest, according to the report. Sir Lawrence said: "The failure to take advantage of Birdsall’s anonymous letter and his visit to the police station was yet again a stark illustration of the progressive decline in the overall efficiency of the major incident room. It resulted in Sutcliffe being at liberty for more than a month when he might conceivably have been in custody. Thankfully, there is no reason to think he committed any further murderous assaults within that period."


[edit] In popular culture
Sutcliffe is seen in the final chapter of From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell, and is depicted as having been inspired by the spirit of Jack The Ripper (who in the book is William Gull).
The Red-Riding Quartet by David Peace was published to critical acclaim between 1999 and 2002. Set against the backdrop of the Ripper murders across Yorkshire, the novels depict the seedy underbelly of both the police force and journalism.
Sutcliffe was also depicted in Channel 4 parodic TV programme Brass Eye (in the episode entitled Decline) as being allowed out of prison to write and star in a musical about his life entitled Sutcliffe! The Musical, in which he declares "I really am so very truly sorry", although this was censored from the programme's initial transmission.
He also gains a mention in the song Archives of Pain, by Manic Street Preachers, including a quote from the mother of one of Sutcliffe's victims.
The Siouxsie and the Banshees song, Night Shift, from their 1981 LP Juju, is based on Sutcliffe's crimes, as is Leeds United from Off My Rocker at the Art School Bop, a 2006 album by Luke Haines.
Sonic Youth's 1986 album, EVOL contains a song entitled, Marilyn Moore, believed to be about the Ripper victim.
Noise group Sutcliffe Jügend take their name and lyrical inspiration from him.
We Be the Echo from San Francisco are named after one of the phrases Sutcliffe claimed to have heard coming from a gravestone in Bingley Cemetery.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A29404226

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more