The Singing River

2 Conversations

The Pascagoula River meanders down from the middle part of the state of Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. The river was named after the Pascagoula (which means Bread people) Indians who, along with the Biloxi and Moctobi tribes, lived in cabins on the banks of the river.
On any given day throughout the year, all along the river, you can see fishermen, canoes, people checking crab pots and nets. Shrimpers dock their boats along its banks. The Navy and Coast Guard maintain bases there. Small shipyards and an internationally known shipyard, Litton Industries, use the river to launch ships.

Sounds like a typical ordinary river. And, it is, except that it sings. People say that on quiet summer evenings you can hear what sounds like a low melodic humming.

Legend has it that the Pascagoula Indians were a peaceful tribe who maintained a truce with the more warlike Biloxi Indians, however, marriage between the two tribes was prohibited. The truce was honored generation after generation, until a Pascagoula man met and fell in love with a Biloxi maiden. The Pascagoula Indians knew that the Biloxi Indians would declare war rather than let the marriage take place. Knowing they were no match for the stronger Biloxi tribe, and not wanting to become slaves, the entire village walked into the Pascagoula River, singing a mournful death song.

Of course, scientists have other theories, the type of clay, the shape of the riverbed as it comes to the Gulf of Mexico. They have come to no conclusions yet.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2912807

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more