Largs: a small sleepy seaside town in Ayrshire, Scotland.

2 Conversations

With a population of just under 15,000, Largs is no metropolis. It does, however, have a flourishing community of elderly and retiring people so it should be noted in the Guide as a useful place to visit when one has the need to feel youthful and vivacious, requires knowledge of local bus routes or where to find comfortable shoes.

Famous thoughout the west coast of Scotland for its Nardini's cafe, the town sits right on the coast, backed by a series of hills. Glasgow lies about 25 miles to the noth west and Ayr about 10 to the south so one has the option of flitting to civilisation without to much trouble. The town is also a useful starting place for visiting the nearby islands of Cumbrae where a Counrty and Western "festival" is held every summer (where lots of demented Scottish people dress up like Garth Brooks/Dolly Parton and drink Budweiser) and Arran (popular amoung our hill walking and mint cake eating brethren).

An enjoyable afternoon can be spent in Largs if one's time is divided sensibly between eating Italian ice-cream, drinking coffee, playing golf, sailing and getting drunk although it should be noted that a number of the local inhabitants gravitate towards the latter option with frightening regularity.

Local produce consists mainly of twee Scottish sayings and heavy rain.




Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A280216

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more