Remote Controlled Model Aeroplanes

0 Conversations

Remote Controlled Model Aeroplanes come in various shapes and sizes. They maybe powered, or unpowered. They may have a single control surface, such as the rudder, or the aeroplane maybe a 'full house' working scale model of the original 'full-sized' or 'full scale' plane, with rudder, elevator, ailerons, throttle, flaps, spoilers, landing gear, lights, etc. Only the builder's imagination and bank account limit the possibilities.

Remote Controlled (often referred to as 'R/C' or 'RC') implies that the plane is controled remotely. This would indicate some type of system that transferrs the desired movement from the pilot to the plane. Today, the transfer of control signals is mostly completed through radio signals. This is why the R in 'Remote Controlled' is often subsititued to mean Radio, resulting in the term 'Radio Controlled.' Either way, you are flying the plane from the ground - while the plane flies (hopefully) above you in the air.

Learning to fly a remotely controlled aeroplane can be difficult because of a number of reasons. The most common problem is expereinced when the plane is flying toward the pilot, and the pilot is unable to properly imput the control commands because right becomes left, and vice-versa. This often results in gravity taking over the situation, causing the ground to strike the model at a force directly related to the velocity of the plane as it touches the ground. Other factors in this event are the mass of the model, and the model's vector of travel in relation to the ground's topography. Any of these factors, the mass or the speed or the vector, can result in a broken plane when gravity wins. The RCer's call this 'crashing'.

A good place to learn to fly, and avoid any broken models, is to use a flight simulator programe. These can greatly improve the early going for a novice pilot. There are various products available, some free, that can give you an idea of the feeling of RC flying.

Joining a club is also a good way to learn to fly. Many clubs have training times for those who are interested in learning to fly. Many have 'trainer' planes for you to use. Look for small planes flying near your home, and then look around for where they are landing (a crash that doesn't require a major repair counts as a landing). Once you find this location, you are likely at an RC flying field. Normally these are operated by a club. Joining can be a social way to meed other people who like to defy gravity, without the risk of injury to their person.

Another good way of learing to fly is through a flight simulator programe. These provide you with realistic controls (or you can use a real R/C transmitter) connected to your home computer, and provide damage-proof learning possibilities. The initial investment in the cost of the programe is quikly realized in replacement part (or worse yet - replacement aeroplane) savings.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2800595

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more