The Sonata

1 Conversation

The name Sonata comes from the Italian word sonare, meaning to sound. It can be referred to either the four movement works often seen from the Baroque time period to the present, or it can refer to the first movement of these musical compisitions, which are commonly in sonata form. Two distinct versions of the sonata can be seen, the Baroque Sonata, from 1660 to 1760 (during the lives of the composers Johann Sebastian Bach, Antonio Vivaldi, and Freidrich Handel) and also the Classical time period, from 1760 to the present. This version of the sonata was established during the lives of Joseph Haydn, Wolfgang Mozart, and Ludwig van Beethoven.

The Baroque Sonata

The first type of sonata was the Baroque sonata, which was seen in the time period of the great Baroque composers Johann Bach, Antonio Vivaldi, and Freidrich Handel.1 The Baroque Sonata itself was also divided into two variarations. The Sonata da Chiesa (the church sonata) and the sonata da camera (the chamber sonata). The chamber sonata had four movements, A slow movement followed by a fast movement, back to a slow, and then with a fast concluding movement. The church sonata had mostley dancelike movements that were similar to the suite.

The Classical Sonata

The classical sonata came about roughly during the period between 1750-1830. It was brought about by the actions of the great composers Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Joseph Haydn, during the early part of the classical period and was improved upon by the works of Ludwig Van Beethoven. The sonata of the classical period was divided into four movements. The first movement was usually called the Allegro, and was in sonata form2 and is played fast and aggressive with the notes generally staccato3 and accented. The second movement of the classical sonata is often times called the Adagio. This movement is played slower then the first and is played lyrical, not agressive and staccato like the first, thus providing the contrast that was so important during the classical era. The third movement was called the minuet4 and this movement was in a triple meter, for instance 6/8 or the like5 and could be compared to a waltz. The fourth movement was also often times called the allegro and like the first movement was fast and aggressive and also in sonata form. This had the effect of providing the piece to have a dramatic and energetic conclusion.

A Great Example of the Classical Sonata

One of the best works that easily defines the classical sonata is Beethoven's third symphony, "Eroica". This symphony clearly defines the four movements of the sonata and shows the dramatic contrast involved during the classical period. Beethoven originally intended to dedicate this symphony to Napolean Bonaparte, but changed his mind when Napolean took over as Emperor.

1From 1600 to about 1750 when the deaths of Bach and Handel marked the end of the Baroque period and the beginning of the Classical period2This is also called sonata allegro or also first movement form3Short and punctuated for those of you not educated in music4But it was also called the scherzo if it was fast5Sorry but you might need some musical background for that one

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A276554

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more