A Conversation for 'Johnny Thomson's Ghost'- the song

Peer Review: A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 1

egon

Entry: Johnny Thomson's Ghost - A2732744
Author: Serendipity, on top of the world, looking down on creation (Egon) - U148120

and this time with a title...


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 2

AlexAshman

Interesting guide entry...

Just a few things:
smiley - modThe article would probably look better with tags instead of headers.
smiley - modThe header ‘Sam English’ seems unnecessary.
smiley - modChange 'in particular fort the' to 'in particular for the'

Otherwise a good entry smiley - smiley


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 3

U168592

This is something I had never heard of and it's a great entry! smiley - biggrin Agree with Alex about the headers, the only other thing I can think of is perhaps some links to the Football Clubs mentioned, oh and one other thing. You need a full stop after Liverpool. smiley - winkeye.
Hope it gets into the Guide! smiley - cheers
PGHF
smiley - devil


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 4

egon

Right, I'll have to link to the football clubs' official websites, as astonishingly Rangers, Celtic and Liverpool all seem to be missing entries in the EG (how'd *that* happen). I'll dig out those links after I've changed the headers.


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 5

egon

OK:

*Sam English header removed
*"fort he" typo corrected (problem with spellcheck- if your typos are actually words, it doesn't know they don't make sense)
*full stop after Liverpool
*headers changed to subheaders
*Links added to the official websites of Celtic, Rangers, Liverpool and the Scottish Football Association


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 6

egon

I've mad e acouple of little changes- I've added the exact date of his death, his place of birth, a llittle detail about his funeral, and I've added his number of international caps.


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 7

egon

I've now added his date of birth as well.


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 8

AlexAshman

Good work...

Sorry to nitpick, but you've got two full stops after 'for his country'.

smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrin


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 9

egon

Sorted that. Prob;lem was I was adding a bit after "scottish national team" but before the full stop, and then clearly forgot the full stop was there and added another one. I can be kinda dense like that. Especially when you consider I ahd no sleep last night- when I hadn't got to sleep by half five, that's when I decided to write this.


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 10

AlexAshman

Don't worry about it - everyone makes mistakes all of the time.smiley - smiley


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 11

egon

Ah, but me more than most. lot of typos turn up due to my lack of hand-eye co-ordination.


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 12

AlexAshman

I know what you mean, typing is tricky - I use my two index fingers to type pretty slowly while not looking at the screen, then I have to read through what I've written and check it.smiley - wah


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 13

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Looking good smiley - ok

I'm suddenly inspired to write an entry about The Flowers of Manchester.

smiley - ale


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 14

McKay The Disorganised

Its a new one on me Egon - smiley - cheers

Nice one.

smiley - cider


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 15

egon

Thanks Kerr, Mckay.
Anyone got any ideas for any way I could improve this?


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 16

GreyDesk

I think that the rivalry between Rangers and Celtic needs to be fleshed out a bit. I mean you and I both understand it without the need for further explanation, but what about the casual reader?

For example: was the game home or away? Why is it called the 'Old Firm'?


Other nits.

- You've got tragic twice in the second sentence of the first paragraph of the "The Death of John Thomson" section. You only need one.

- "Association Football"? It's football, man! Surely there must be a limit to how far we have to pander to the needs of an American audience in the EG. This is after all a British website, and how many other types of football does a Briton think of when you say the word football to him? That's right none.


Other bits.

There are some good links in the EG that you could use. Unfortunately I can't post the A-numbers as the search function appears to have gone tits-up again smiley - cross I know however, that there are EG entries about both football chants and the art of goalkeeping.

All in all, good work smiley - ok


smiley - runsmiley - football


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 17

egon

I'll look for the entries.

I put Association Footnball as I was fairly certain there was a guide entry with that title, although I'm buggered if I can find it.

And why bring up "American Audience"? What about Rugby Football, Gaelic Football, Auistralian Rules Football, table football...

And I'm not sure the Rangers/Celtic rivalry is particularly important in thyis context. Unfortunately, I couldn't find guide entries on either of them, which surprised me.

I'll have a look for the other entries you mention. They might be linked from the Galaxy of Football, if I'm lucky.

I've changed "ibrtox Stadium" to "Rangers' Ibrox Stadium, and I'll remove the unnecesary tragic smiley - ok


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 18

GreyDesk

I've found those links, courtesy of Ormy's remarkable 'h2g2 Galaxy of Football' - A1122959

Chants - A543755
Being a goalie - A419195

smiley - cheers


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 19

egon

smiley - ta


A2732744 - Johnny Thomson's Ghost

Post 20

egon

I should flesh out what i said about the old firm just now- I don't see it as the role of an entry about a Celtic football song and the events which inspired it, to explain the history and rivalry of the Old Firm. I'd say that's the job for entrie on celtic, Rangers or the Old Firm collectively. (now that's an idea for Challenge h2g2) the entry isn't about Celtic and Rangers, it's about Celtic, Johnny Thomson and Sam English. Rangers are an incidental in the tale, due to the fact that they happened to be the otehr team in ther game.

The job of explaining the rival


Key: Complain about this post