First grade murderers or "everybody down! - It's an elementary student!"

0 Conversations

Generally we Americans have always looked back with wistfulness on our childhoods and while we've been at it, have included our own children in the nostalgia. "Oh, little Johnny" we say "you have it so good,it's so simple being a kid." We remember being in trouble for such horrible things as putting gum into the hair of the girl who sat in front of us in class. We can dreamily recall being told to "be quiet!" as the teacher taught from the front of the room.The silly little fights we had on the way home from school with the class bully. Those were such simple and wonderful years. But inasmuch as those days are gone for my generation, they are also gone for the youth we now find ourselves raising. Today near Flint Michigan an elementary schooler, a six year old girl was shot to death by a classmate.Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident. For the past four years our nation has watched communities bury their young who have been putting guns to each other's heads and pulling the triggers. This has happened within a town close to mine and even in our own school, children have been sent home for carrying guns. There is a very real fatalism in the attitudes of many kids today. I believe I would share it were I the same age. I suppose I was the lucky one, I should have cherished my junior years, I never knew how few children in my own culture would get to live them.
There has been much hand wringing concerning all of this. Our news institutions have gone on at length asking just how such tragedies among our youth could take place. Everyone seems ready to place blame and deliver the ultimate answers that fit the news cycles. I think, however the old tune "All you need is love" would remedy much of these problems our children seem to face. If we could address them in all of our encounters with the will to give them our love, I believe our schools and streets would become safer places. And just maybe kids would start to consider poor gum placement as the ultimate trespasses in the world.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A272936

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more