A Conversation for The Subbing Process

Sub so deep!

Post 1

Ford Anglia - 69

Y'know it may be me but the user guide is about as much use as a haddock to a unicyclist! It does not tell you how and where to go to submit entries!

If it does the subbing process must be so deep SONAR could not find it!


Sub so deep!

Post 2

SilverSolstice

There's a 'submit' button underneath the white window in which you write entries. Or there should be. If there isn't, you may have a serious problem.


Sub so deep!

Post 3

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

...like the Peer Review .


Sub so deep!

Post 4

The Apprentice

(titter)


Sub so deep!

Post 5

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

Excuse me *obsessive* smiley - winkeye


Sub so deep!

Post 6

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Hi Ford... The way the submission process works now is that, when a Researcher has produced something that merits being edited, he or she has to pop over to the Peer Review Page at...

http://www.h2hg2.com/A395589

... and tell everyone about it. This may seem like a chore compared to the old system of simply clicking a button; but it has the advantage that time is not wasted rejecting nonsense (which people previously insisted on dropping into the editors in-trayssmiley - sadface), and it provides an opportunity for the author to get some last minute feedback that may lead to improving his/her chance of having the thing accepted.

Remember to include the title of your Entry in the subject line and the complete URL (so that even lazy people will read it).

I hope this helps; if not, let me know.smiley - smiley

JTG


Sub so deep!

Post 7

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Sorry... I stutter. That address should obviously be...

http://www.h2g2.com/A395589

JTG


Sub so deep!

Post 8

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

Why not just say http://www.h2g2.com/PeerReview?


Sub so deep!

Post 9

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Why not come forward with that in the first place.smiley - winkeye

JTG


Sub so deep!

Post 10

xyroth

Why not just define the old submit button to do exactly the same thing?


Sub so deep!

Post 11

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

Because you need to post an explanation, plus, visiting the peer review forum to post encourages you to help out with another article.

I think.


Sub so deep!

Post 12

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Bingo.smiley - smiley

It's also turning into quite an interesting place to hang out. It has the added advantage that when you post comments about an Entry, you know that the author is waiting eagerly for your thoughts; and so conversations take place at a snappy pace. In the olden days, it sometimes took weeks before someone realized that a comment had been posted to an Entry.smiley - smiley

JTG


Sub so deep!

Post 13

xyroth

I was not suggesting not posting it to the peer review page, I was just suggesting that instead of having to do three or four steps that are identical every time, you just get the submit button to automate those steps for you, thus making it easier to submit the article to the peer review page.


Sub so deep!

Post 14

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

The submit button can't add an explanation though. Ahhhhhhhhh. smiley - winkeye


Sub so deep!

Post 15

xyroth

No it can't, but it can run an external script that asks you for one, so that it is 1 simple step rather than lots of small, easily automated and very picky steps.


Sub so deep!

Post 16

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

Yes, but,.. Umm..

Okay, you win.

*grumble*


Sub so deep!

Post 17

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Ahhh, but... [tagging Lisa and jumping nimbly into the ring] then we're potentially back with the problem of having to review tons of pages that aren't worth reviewing. The rather modest effort it takes to visit the Peer Review page might discourage those Researchers amongst us (and you'd be surprized how manysmiley - smiley) who submit blank pages or pages that are intellectually blank; and the extra steps should prevent the accidental discharge of work by Researchers who may not completely understand what the buttons do (and you'd be surprized how manysmiley - smiley).

You're right to say that the process could probably be automated fairly easily (which would be a convenience to experienced Researchers); but the lack of automation, in this instance, should be viewed as a solution to a series of related problems too.

... And, if you'll forgive me repeating myself a bit, the Peer Review page is an interesting place to visit, rather like the village watering hole or the launderette.smiley - smiley

JTG


Sub so deep!

Post 18

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

*applauds*


Sub so deep!

Post 19

xyroth

I aggree with most of that, I just thought that some level of automation would help newbies like me who have only been here a week to not get put off from submitting anything. Under my suggestion, the stuff would still go on the peer review page, so no problems there, and i thought that there was supposed to be scouts who looked at the stuff on that page, and only passed on to the editors the "good stuff". Remember, you can also have the problem that the wise are shy and or intimidated out of going through an unneccessarily complex process to submut sumething simple, but valuable, thus loosing potential future briliant submissions.


Sub so deep!

Post 20

$u$

Did I misunderstand, or at it's simplest, does it simply come down to swapping the (former) submit button for one which transports you to the Peer Review page?

If not, then that is my suggestion!smiley - winkeye Process exactly as now, but without all the 'tedious messing about in hyperspace' trying to find the oft-mentioned 'Peer Review Page', which can be particularly off-putting if you're a newbie who's just spent hours meticulously writing an entry.

*waits patiently with one eye on John and his current batch of subbing entriessmiley - winkeye*

~A~


Key: Complain about this post