Professionals and Workers

1 Conversation


Back to So Long And Thanks For Laughing

Professions


An accountant is someone who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

An auditor is someone who arrives after the battle and bayonets all the wounded.

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today.

A statistician is someone who is good with numbers but lacks the personality to be an accountant.

An actuary is someone who brings a fake bomb on a plane because that decreases the changes that there will be another bomb on the plane.

A programmer is someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had in a way you don't understand.

A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there.

A topologist is a man who doesn't know the difference between a coffee cup and doughnut.

A lawyer is a person who writes a 10,000 word document and calls it a brief.

A psychologist is a man who watches everyone else when a beautiful girl enters a room.

A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

A school teacher is a disillusioned woman who used to think she liked children.

A consultant is someone who takes the watch off your wrist and tells you the time.

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

TODAY'S STOCK MARKET REPORT

  • Helium was up.
  • Feathers were down.
  • Paper was stationary.
  • Fluorescent tubing was dimmed in light trading.
  • Knives were up sharply.
  • Cows steered into a bull market.
  • Pencils lost a few points.
  • Hiking equipment was trailing.
  • Elevators rose, while escalators continued their slow decline.
  • Weights were up in heavy trading.
  • Light switches were off.
  • Mining equipment hit rock bottom.
  • Nappies remain unchanged.
  • Shipping lines stayed at an even keel.
  • The market for raisins dried up.
  • Coca Cola fizzled.
  • Caterpillar stock inched up a bit.
  • Sun peaked at midday.
  • Balloon prices were inflated.
  • Scott Tissue touched a new bottom.
  • And batteries exploded in an attempt to recharge the market.
So Long, And Thanks For Laughing

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A264412

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more