A Conversation for The h2g2 Hitchhikers Movie News Page

I've seen it

Post 21

SuperMoo: Now With Even More Online-ness

I hope they do...it would give me an excuse to wear my Evil Army shirt again...


I've seen it

Post 22

Jemstone

I hope they do too, if only to see if some of the actors grow into their characters a bit more. It must be so hard capturing the complexities of these characters from the books but if some of them did it a bit better it would make a big improvement to the film(s). Now there's a challenge for them!
smiley - magic


I've seen it

Post 23

UberGek {Oo-behr Geek}

Slate has an interesting little article on the film.

http://www.slate.com/id/2117676/

It doesn't say much that we haven't already, but in case your intersted...


I've seen it

Post 24

emppu28

I saw the movie and I liked it. Thinking that they actually had five books full of material to choose from, they did it really well. And I liked the idea that there were extra stuff that is not in the books, it just shows how the story has evolved in Douglas Adams' mind... Like it should do in any case.
Especially I was happy with the way the story ended. I mean, ending it anywhere in the middle of those five books it would have been more or less chaotic, don't you think?


I've seen it

Post 25

Jim Lynn

If you think about it, with the exception of the middle section, it follows the first book quite closely.


I've seen it

Post 26

UberGek {Oo-behr Geek}

Emppu28, I really don't want to sound rude, but have you read the books? Do you know much about Douglas Adams? They didn't take material from all five books, only the first one... and the extra stuff was from Karey Kirkpatrick mostly, the screenwriter. Douglas died before it was all finalized.

I found the ending a bit off... "Uh, the restaurant is at the other end of the universe" implies that it is a location, not a time. That is besides the cheesy love story between Trillian and Arthur. So very much was missing that it felt like it ended way too soon.

You are right in one regard, this story has always changed a bit from one format to another...

If anyone has more enlightenment to add, feel free... I don't claim to be the foremost expert, just a long-time, hard-core fan. smiley - smiley


I've seen it

Post 27

You can call me TC

Re more films: F1816600?thread=633500


I've seen it

Post 28

emppu28

UberGek, yes, I have read the books but it's been a while since the last time so it might be that my memory is tricking about the story and what goes where. Maybe I just should read them oen more time again...
What comes to the screenpaly, I read from somewhere that it mostly followed Adams' original idea about the movie - which was thus a bit different from the books - and only a few minor changes were made by others. But I might be wrong here, does anyone have more inside information? Because this is all I've heard...


I've seen it

Post 29

psycho42

From what I understand, Adams had a basic incomplete script written and the "new writers" (for lack of a better word after working 9 hours in a grocery storesmiley - smiley) went from there. Appearantly, many of the concepts were there, but very few of the details. I am not 100% sure of the accuracy of this, this is what I have read though.
~Psycho


I've seen it

Post 30

AgProv2

That was most definitely the original Marvin in the Vogon DHSS waiting room! (to those of us who came across the Guide in the early/middle 1980's during Thatcher's recession, the Vogons and the British unemployment benefit system will be forever inxtricably associated).

A bit disorientating, really, as suddenly and fleetingly seeing the REAL Marvin after that white blobby thing, you want him to deal with the imposter...

The BBC get a credit right at the end of the movie (just after the soundtrack LP credits) for kindly allowing the Real Marvin to appear in that crowd scene.


I've seen it

Post 31

AgProv2

Can't understand the folowing though:

i) Yes, Ford Prefect can be black and American, why not? (Q: American expectations, as British sci-fi to a Yank means "Red Dwarf" - deliberate attempt to give Ford a few echoes to the Cat in RD, who is black and Americanised?) After all, Ford had to learn his English from somewhere and American English is the dominant form on the planet, so his having an American acent makes sense.

ii) Trillian is BRITISH. This is surely non-negociable? Despite her being played as a fluffy blonde American no-brainer in the TV series?

ii) Where was Stephen Moore to do the voice of Marvin, even if that white blobby thing didn't quite cut the mustard? Moore's voice is the one constant about the creation in every previous format.

However, the Arthur-Zaphod-Trillian triangle worked a damn sight better than it does on radio or TV - it also eased a thought I had about Zaphod, that sooner or later somebody would want to nut him (twice if necessary) for being such an egotistical insufferable jerk...

And I loved the Church of Arkleseizure! More please!


(I did hear thee were some notes in circulation concerning what spider pornography might look like in a society of sentient arachnids and that this would be used in the film... alas, still unenlightened!)


I've seen it

Post 32

AgProv2

Can't understand the folowing though:

i) Yes, Ford Prefect can be black and American, why not? (Q: American expectations, as British sci-fi to a Yank means "Red Dwarf" - deliberate attempt to give Ford a few echoes to the Cat in RD, who is black and Americanised?) After all, Ford had to learn his English from somewhere and American English is the dominant form on the planet, so his having an American acent makes sense.

ii) Trillian is BRITISH. This is surely non-negociable? Despite her being played as a fluffy blonde American no-brainer in the TV series?

ii) Where was Stephen Moore to do the voice of Marvin, even if that white blobby thing didn't quite cut the mustard? Moore's voice is the one constant about the creation in every previous format.

However, the Arthur-Zaphod-Trillian triangle worked a damn sight better than it does on radio or TV - it also eased a thought I had about Zaphod, that sooner or later somebody would want to nut him (twice if necessary) for being such an egotistical insufferable jerk...

And I loved the Church of Arkleseizure! More please!


(I did hear there were some notes in circulation concerning what spider pornography might look like in a society of sentient arachnids and that this would be used in the film... alas, still unenlightened!)


Key: Complain about this post