A Conversation for Crater Labs, Inc.

I Need An Upgrade

Post 1

Penny Whistle

I don't know the exact procedures for how you work here, but do you do upgrades for previous items? I've got this penny-whistle here, and I've been using it as my temporal medium of choice at the H2G2 Time Travellers Society. Would it be possible to sci-fi it up a tad, but let it keep its fantasy world-ish charm?


I Need An Upgrade

Post 2

Afgncaap5

Well, probably....we could always add an oscilloscope to it. Make it auto-tune itself, thus providing for smoother time travelling.

Any other ideas, GL?

*Begins trying to set up an oscilloscope*


I Need An Upgrade

Post 3

Garius Lupus

Well...since you want it to maintain its old world charm, I guess upgrading to a nickle whistle, or a dime whistle wouldn't do, would it?

Hmmmm. We could equip it with a sci-fi special effects generator, so that when you do a time jump, it would create your choice of puffy clouds, swirling spirals, or shrink-to-a-dot effects, accompanied by your choice of pwing, shooooop or ffffttttt sounds. We could also install an auto-return timer, where it would automatically return you to the present after a time that you preset on the timer. We have one of those here in the lab, except that it is the cuckoo clock model and it cuckoos for the 5 posts before you return. Swiss guy ordered it and never picked it up.

If you thought you needed a little, er, protection, we could install this snowzar attachment. Has nothing to do with time travel, but if you play the proper notes on the penny whistle, while aiming it at someone, it will fire a blast at them that will freeze them for a selectable time, all the way from one post up to permafrost. The particular note sequence that you play determines the length of freezing. We've made some changes since the prototype, where we had set "Mary had a little lamb" to correspond to permafrost. Uncle Ned misses Aunt Hellen's cooking, but he's not too unhappy with her inability to talk to him. And he still never misses the opportunity to show off his limited musical talents. Anyway, you now get permafrost using Beethoven's 5th and a 5 post freeze using "Smoke on the water". Other lengths of freeze use other tunes that hopefully won't be played by chance sometime.

Um, what else, Affy? Any of those appeal, Penny?


I Need An Upgrade

Post 4

Afgncaap5

Well, we could give it a Demo Mode, where it could just play its own ambient music in the background, might make a nice party favor.

Similarly, an Auto-Pilot might be a nice feature. If you're ever, say, back in World War I and are about to be captured, you could send this ahead in time to your most likely prison cell an hour after you're most likely to arrive. Or, just have it go home to a safe time so that someone can check the history books and send it back for you.

Oh, and you could try a phone feature. We could give you a communication song that would allow you to briefly speak with someone else, wherever they are at the moment.

Lemme think....there could be more....


I Need An Upgrade

Post 5

Penny Whistle

Actually, I think that's a good selection. How soon do you think that this could be ready? And for how much?


I Need An Upgrade

Post 6

Afgncaap5

Oh, I think we could have it ready pretty soon....as long as we don't get distracted by the little details....


I Need An Upgrade

Post 7

Garius Lupus

Distracted by the details? Us? Never!

Say, Affy, that "ambient music" you mentioned for the Demo Mode. I think it would be cool if it played some classic rock songs. I can just imagine it playing "smoke on the water"

smiley - musicalnote
tweet tweet tweet
tweet tweet TWEET tweet
tweet tweet tweet
tweet tweet
smiley - musicalnote


I Need An Upgrade

Post 8

Afgncaap5

Yes, I think that could work out pretty well....oh! And since this device is musical in nature, adding a low-level Polka Gun would be a snap!


I Need An Upgrade

Post 9

Garius Lupus

We should make up a play list for that Demo Mode. Let's see, we have "smoke on the water" so far.

Hmmmm....

How about something by Jethro Tull - you know, the band that used a flute in their rock music. A flute is sorta like a penny whistle, isn't it?


This isn't getting distracted by the details, is it? smiley - winkeye


I Need An Upgrade

Post 10

Afgncaap5


Not yet....give us time, though....


Yeah, I think a penny whistle can do anything that a flute can. Just differently.

Let's give it the music from Chariots Of Fire on the Demo mode! Theoretically, we could also tie that in to the temporal facilities of the device, thus allowing for a time slowing effect.


I Need An Upgrade

Post 11

Penny Whistle

So....think it's about finished yet?


I Need An Upgrade

Post 12

Garius Lupus

Er, yes, we've just about got the play list sorted out. smiley - erm


I Need An Upgrade

Post 13

Afgncaap5

Yeah, it's a nice list. And, uh....

*Quickly types up a sheet of paper*

If you'd like to add any more songs and their respective effects, just follow these instructions....

*Hands over the paper*

I think that should about do it....


I Need An Upgrade

Post 14

Penny Whistle

Ah, okay! Thanks! With this new-improved penny whistle, I can actually start doing...stuff. Like adventures, if I was ever around long enough.


I Need An Upgrade

Post 15

Garius Lupus


Affy - did you install all that other stuff? I was working on the play list. Wait a minute, you were working on the play list too. smiley - yikes We'd better get to work.


Er, Penny, we're not quite done. Uh, we'll need it for a few more minutes. smiley - erm We'll just slip into the lab with it...

*sounds of frantic hammering and sawing and drilling*


I Need An Upgrade

Post 16

Penny Whistle

Okay! Just tell me when.smiley - smiley


I Need An Upgrade

Post 17

Garius Lupus

*sounds of jack hammer and chainsaw*


I Need An Upgrade

Post 18

Penny Whistle

*Penny Whistle goes through some fingering practise while waiting*


I Need An Upgrade

Post 19

Garius Lupus

*sounds of dentist drill and hamster wheel*


I Need An Upgrade

Post 20

Penny Whistle

*Practices her soft shoeing*

Say, one last little thought: would it be possible to create some form of....I don't know. Time/space beacons? So that I could, you know, just play the "Beacon" song, and then be teleported to any of the Beacons that I choose to go to, whenever and wherever they are?

Maybe tiny electronic devices that I could imbed in things, or something. That'd be cool. If possible, could I have five of them put inside miniatures? Not more than a few inches in size, of course. Perhaps a Mole, a Unicorn, a Martian, a Dragon, and a Parrot?

Thanks.


Key: Complain about this post