The Bahrain Grand Prix 2004 Race Report

3 Conversations


Well, after an exciting qualifying session where all the cars go round the track one at a time and then - in case the excitement wasn't enough the first time - they do it again, Michael Schumacher came out triumphant to claim the first ever Bahrain pole.


Then the day of the race dawned. It was nice and sunny, since it was in the desert capital of Manama. However, some were predicting rain, and there were questions of whether the sand would cause problems by getting onto the track and in everyone's way. The pessimists were having a good time since there were some remarks about the track not being able to cope under full race conditions.


Kimi Raikonnen chose to start from the pit lane due to engine problems instead of starting from the back of the grid. Then poor Bruni's Minardi failed to get away for the parade lap. He bravely battled on but was several laps down for the whole race.


Then it was go, go, go! Everyone got away and through the first corner safely, although Da Matta ran wide, and Alonso lost his nose cone. As the two ferraris, Michael first and Barrichello second, braked for the first corner plumes of what almost looked like smoke but was just brake dust filled the air. This looked ominous after the problems Ferrari had had with their brakes, causing them to change suppliers and still remain unhappy with their choice, but fortunately for them there were no serious problems.


On lap two Alonso had to pit for a new front wing, which took 16.7 seconds. By this time Kimi had battled his way up to 15th, and was fighting with Klien for 14th position. Ralf Schumacher and Takuma Sato were also enjoying a nice fight for 4th and 5th. On lap 6, Ralf managed to squeeze past Sato, but Sato fought back and, even though Ralf clearly had the line, Sato fought back and pushed Ralf off the track. This meant Ralf had to pit to see if he had sustained any damage and it was all Sato's fault.

The battle between Kimi and Klien was heating up nicely by the seventh lap, if the flames coming out of Kimi's engine were anything to go by. This meant Klien was free to enjoy what was a great afternoon.


Lap 9 is pit stop time for Michael, who comes in from the lead. David Coulthard and Mark Webber also pit, and Coulthard manages to get ahead. Ralf shows that his car didn't sustain any serious damage by setting the fastest middle sector time.


Lap 11 and Montoya, Barrichello and Trulli pit. Barrichello fails to get away when the lollipop man tells him to go and then nearly crashes into Trulli, a mistake which earns Ferrari a nice fine.


After some of the pit stops, Jenson Button is in the lead! But he soon pits himself, and as the rear jack didn't go down properly his stop took 12 seconds. Klien is having a flying afternoon, and is now battling with Massa, whom he soon overtakes after Massa makes a mistake and runs wide.


After everyone has had their first pitstop, the order is: M Schmacher, Barrichello, Montoya, Trulli, Sato, Button, with M Schumacher having a lead of about 12 seconds.


Klien spoils his afternoon's work by spinning off from 12th, although he recovers. Sato runs wide and damages his front wing, which means Button passes him. After his stop for a new nose Sato ends up in 14th.


Lap 20, and Alonso and Ralf (the collision with Sato earlier was not his fault, remember) pass Massa after a short battle.


Now for the second round of pit stops! M Schumacher makes his stop and then almost collided with Trulli at turn 1. R Schumacher pits and plays skittles with his pit crew. The rest of the pitstops are uneventful, and everyone has pitted twice by lap 28, with Heidfeld being last to pit.


Webber and Alonso battle hard for 8th place. Alonso gets annoyed and gestures at the Australian when he moves across late. Then Webber out brakes himself and Alonso is through!


With 22 laps to go, Ralf tries to pass Fisichella, but they touch and Fisichella spins. Ralf thinks his front wing is OK though and does not need to stop. There may be something significant about the number 11 at this point.


It's pitstop time again guys! Barrichello has dirty side pods from all the brake dust, and Michael's stop takes 7.6 seconds.


The end of the race is nigh, so M Schumacher starts to back off. Montoya also slows down, but in his case he has a problem. Button passes Montoya to take 3rd place, and Trulli, Sato, Alonso and Ralf also manage to pass before the end of the race. Six laps from the end, and Coulthard makes an unscheduled stop. He is quickly sent on his way again, but his engine dies before he leaves the pit lane.


And that's the end! The ailing Montoya only just crossed the finish line, and slipped down to 13th place on the last lap.

Race Classification

Pos.DriverTeamTime
1M.SCHUMACHERFerrari1h28m34.875s
2BARRICHELLOFerrari+1.367s
3BUTTONBAR+26.687s
4TRULLIRenault+32.214s
5SATOBAR+52.460s
6ALONSORenault+53.156s
7R.SCHUMACHERWilliams+58.155s
8WEBBERJaguar+1 lap
9PANISToyota+1 lap
10DA MATTAToyota+1 lap
11FISICHELLASauber+1 lap
12MASSASauber+1 lap
13MONTOYAWilliams+1 lap
14KLIENJaguar+1 lap
15HEIDFELDJordan+1 lap
16PANTANOJordan+2 laps
17BRUNIMinardi+5 laps
18COULTHARDMcLaren+6 laps
19BAUMGARTNERMinardi+12 laps
20RAIKKONENMcLaren+49 laps

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2559765

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more