IPR Presents: I can't believe I thought about eating that!, or...

0 Conversations

IPR Presents: The Team That Invented the Teenager


Social science has always had it's commercial aspects. How can it not?
It survives on grants and public approval just as any other focus group
that cannot point to any hole dug or disease cured at the end of the day. This evening, we are gratified to be able to engage in an oral history event, sitting down with the few remaining pioneers in the field of...



Psst!



Eric.



Yes.



What is it, Eric? Fire, famine, pestilence, flood, earthquake, murder, road accident, collapse of the economy, rupture of the moral fiber of the...?



Are you being sarcastic to me, Sir?



Possibly. I haven't decided, yet.



Let me know when you have.



Where are you going? Come back here!



I thought you'd need a little time.



Um. Do you understand the concept of "dead air"?



Isn't that like when you come back from hols and the heater nor the fan has been on, only someone forgot to flush the bog...?



Er... No. It is the sound of the ether being unagitated by anything other than a carrier wave.



Ah. Like the sound between channels?



Yes.



I like that sound.



Well, the old boyos in Upper Manglement don't.



Don't they? I've heard some strange avante garde things on Drey Horse's Choice!



Yes, well. They don't like spontaneous, unartful outbursts of sudden silence...



Is that why you talk so much?


silence


You embarrass easily for someone so much in the public ear.



You sound much like me mum.



She used to say that?



No. I've got me fingers stuffed in me ears and you sound much like me mum does when I do that.



Ah. Would she consider that to be a compliment?



I don't know. Does she know you?



I don't know. Has she ever been here?



Just a couple of times. She's the lady in the gingham dress and the motorcycle helmet who runs in to throw paper bags at me.



Oh. Her. I thought she was part of some tranny delivery service. What's in them?


Marmite and Curry sandwiches and new y-fronts.


Good Night, Everybody!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2525663

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more