Alundra

1 Conversation

Games Review #1

DESCRIPTION:
Nowadays, companies have turned to focus more on graphics and battle systems than on strategy, puzzles, and gameplay. With role-playing games in particular, it's hard to find a game that is more than just pretty graphics, one that's easy to pick up and play but is addictive and enough of a challenge so you could be stuck in a dungeon for hours trying to figure out its puzzles. Alundra is such a game. A truly great game, and a great example of an era of games forgotten and forsaken THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN LOST. An example of old, great, never-say-die-games.

"A truly
great game... ...An example of old, great, never-say-die games.

You play as Alundra, a boy who has the ability to step into people's dreams and alleviate their nightmares (kind of like that mid-'80s Dennis Quaid film Dreamscape). As the story begins, Alundra is on his way to Inoa - a village a messenger in his dreams, Lars, told him to go to. The ship goes down during the voyage, but luckily Alundra is safely washed up on a beach not far from the village. There he is taken in by Jess, a swordsmith in Inoa, who treats Alundra like a son. But things are not right with the townspeople. They begin having a plague of lethal, terrifying nightmares, dreams, visions, therefore Alundra steps in to use his talent to enter their dreams and alleviate their nightmares. That's only the beginning....
Alundra's graphics, pitifully, harken back to the days of Genesis and SNES graphics with finely drawn sprite-based graphics. The game is set in a three-quarter top-down view, somewhat different from Landstalker, closer to the perspective used in The Legend of Zelda. The comparisons of this game to the Zelda series are valid, but there's more to this game than hacking your way through dungeons with a few scattered puzzles. A more accurate comparison is to Landstalker for the Genesis, and it's no wonder since Alundra was created by the same team- Psygnosis, the ruler of RPG makers. The only problem with the graphics- other than severely 16-bit like- is that while playing you'll run into areas where you're not able to judge height or distance before going ahead by trial and error. If you're stuck in a dungeon where you've seemingly tried everything, trying to jump across an area that seems like it'd be too far might be the answer. The end of the game shows you some fairly good animé sequences, parts of which are shown at the title sequence.

...At times the platforms can be frustrating if not downright annoying.

The dungeons are what the game is all about. There are plenty of places to explore on the overworld map, some of which aren't reachable unless a certain item or weapon has been found first. Each of the game's main dungeons will require you to figure out dozens of puzzles before reaching the end. The great thing about the dungeons is that there's something new in just about every one of them, right up until the end. So if you're getting through the game at a decent pace, there's bound to be something up ahead that will completely throw you off.
Alundra's gameplay is nicely balanced. The control is tight, but at times jumping to successive platforms (especially when they move) can be frustrating if not downright annoying. Being surrounded by enemies can spell disaster as well, but running from your enemies is not always the best route to take. Sometimes special items or switches appear when all the enemies in an area are defeated.
As for music, Alundra's tunes fit the mood of the game - from upbeat and adventurous to solemn - and the music will stick in your head. There's also a sound test, which reveals new songs as you hear them during the game (a nice touch). Also, there is a pretty good song at the end of the game.
What is really good about Alundra is the translation. For those who have bagged on Psygnosis for its past liberties with American humour, there is very little to complain about here. Except the joke with the flowers. Alundra is maturely written and has a tone and feel that fits the game to a T. Each character has its own distinct personality, instead of being caught in a trap where the dialogue could be described as "one size fits all." As the story progresses, religion becomes a major player in the game's plot, as the townspeople slowly begin to realize what's behind their suffering.
If you're a fan of Zelda, Landstalker, or other action RPGs that have hit consoles before, then Alundra should be your next stop. It's an addictive, well-rounded game that is balanced, challenging, and, most of all, fun to play. If you're speedy, on the quick end it'll take around 40 hours to complete. If you take your time and really search while trying to figure out every puzzle, it'll take a lot longer. If you're a hard-fought turn-based RPG veteran who's not so good when it comes to button-pressing dexterity, then Alundra will take some getting used to but worth it.
Rating:
Graphics: 5/10,
Music: 8/10,
Plot & Story: 10/10
Playability: 7/10
Addictiveness: 10/10. You'll replay it after you complete it. Trust me. You will.
40/50


5 GOOD POINTS:
1. Good Animé;
2. GREAT plot!;
3. BIG game;
4. Plenty of realistic characters;
5. Keeps it simple!

5 BAD POINTS:
1. Combat is Chaotic at best;
2. Linear;
3. Poor AI;
4. Alundra can NOT put things down, he has to throw them;
5. Viewing angle unsuteable for "Heroic Leaps," only "Leaps of Faith." :

OVERALL RATING: Buy this game now. It sells in price as if on Sony's Platinum budget selection. Pity it isn't. An awe inspiring, magnificent game of superb quality


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A237511

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more