Latin - Nouns

0 Conversations

Latin Nouns

One of the fundamental parts of every language I have encountered so far. Without them senences are just strings of functions and modifiers with nothing to modify.

In Latin, there are five declensions which affect how nouns are declined1.

He, She, It (Is, Ea, Id)

Like many languages, Latin uses gender-specific endings. For that reason, it is important to know different nouns' genders so you arrive at the correct ending. The genders are Masculine, Feminine, and Neuter.

Some Nouns

Nominative2Genitive3GenderEnglishNominativeGenitiveGenderEnglish
PilaPilaefBallAsinusAsinimDonkey
CreusaCreusaefCherryOppidumOppidinTown
MusMimMouseTelaTelaefSpear

All of these nouns are part of the

First or Second Declension

The entirety of the first declension of nouns is feminine. The girls get a whole declension to themselves. In the nominative, everything ends in -a. But, there are some exceptions, there are a few nouns that are masculine because they are professions4. Examples are: Agricola, Agricolae, m., Farmer; Athleta, Athletae, m. Athlete.

1Given different endings denoting the noun's function in a sentence.2A case for nouns that is usually for the subject of the sentence.3A case for nouns that is usually used to show posession. Generally used for finding nouns' roots.4Women didn't really hold jobs in Rome

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2356030

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more