A Conversation for Festive Hangover Cures

The Double Whammy

Post 1

Mark Moxon

I already posted the best cure I know in the Hangover entry at http://www.h2g2.com/A103140 - it's called the Double Whammy, I learned it from Oz Clarke, and it works a treat.

The only problem is that it's a bugger to assemble when you're half but. Fun, though... smiley - smiley


The Double Whammy

Post 2

Mark Moxon

...or even half *cut*.

Hmmm. smiley - smiley


The Double Whammy

Post 3

Gwennie

Many, many moons ago after returning, inebriated from my 18th birthday celebrations, I drank as many pints of water that I could manage before "retiring" to my pit and I must admit that although I did have a hangover, it wasn't as bad as I deserved.

On the occasions that I've been too drunk to remember to drink water, on waking, I've taken the homeopathic remedy, "Arnica" (usually used in treating bruises or strains) which has been as effective as an allopathic pain killer.

Of course, there's always uninterupted sleep as a cure... or just having kids which means you have to stay sober to keep up with them and they drain your finances so much that you can't afford to drink in the first place (I speak from experience...)


The Double Whammy

Post 4

Rocket Rod

Stay drunk Y2K cometh!


The Double Whammy

Post 5

Researcher 93445

These days I'm an old fart who uses abstinence, which works wonders.

But from my salad days I offer this advice: drink as much water as you can before bedtime and take 4 aspirin, a vitamin B1 tablet and 2000 milligrams of vitamin C. When you wake up drink more water and go back to sleep. When you wake up the second time eat the most breakfast you can stomach and tell yourself what an ass you've been.

A friend of mine from Germany swears that you can prevent the hangover in the first place if you simply eat a stick of raw butter before drinking. I was never that desperate.


The Double Whammy

Post 6

Outsider

I have found that drinking loads of Sunny delight does the trick for me followed by a few rounds of egg bread (I kid ye not). There really is no other experience quite like downing a 2 litre bottle of "Sunny D" and feeling it purging your body of any nasty toxins. Try it the next time you get bladdered, im sure you will feel better for it smiley - smiley


The Double Whammy

Post 7

Keeza

Ditto to all the suggestions of lots of water , heaps VitC and B and if the stomach is really lousy- dry toast or bread.....I kid you not !! soaks up excess acid.It works for morning sickness as well. If nothing else it's easy to prepare and if it's bought straight back up doesn't stain and is easy to clean up!!!Also always empty all ashtrays and half empty stale beer bottles while still plastered...the smell is a killer first thing!


The Double Whammy

Post 8

wakatipu

I have, over many years of research found that good old cordial works wonders. The sugar gets the blood sugar levels up and the bright red colouring still woks on adults the same way it does on ankle biters at ten year olds birthday parties.


The Double Whammy

Post 9

Gwennie

Avoid preparing chopped tomatoes and diced carrots for lunch the next day......


The Double Whammy

Post 10

Clawster

Best cure for a hangover - lick a dog.
Apparently it brings you straight out of your drunkeness, or it makes you throw up when you realise what you've done, and gets all the alcholol out of your system.

That's not how you spell alcholol is it?

ohwell, yeah, go lick a dog.
waidaminit.... or is that what you supposed to not try and do when you're drunk?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more