A Conversation for UPDATE: Classical Violins

Peer Review: A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 1

Natalie

Entry: UPDATE: Classical Violins - A23124052
Author: Bernadette Lynn - U15459

Moved in accordance with the new Updating Process at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/RF21


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 2

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Very good and, as someone mentioned, it could easily become a UP, with construction, type of wood used, the Stradivari secret polish used that gives them their unique sound etc.

I wondered if, in the playing section you might add something about modern learning techniques, such as the Suzuki method

http://www.britishsuzuki.org.uk/rpm...tPageID=5&intNavbarOpen_Level1_ID=3

and the Yehudi Menuhin school of Music?

http://www.yehudimenuhinschool.co.uk/

Just a thought. May just help those who wish to learn.

Otherwise, excellent... Better than I could do, and I'm meant to play one!


MMF


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 3

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

There's a theory that Stradivari didn't have a secret varnish recipe: he wrote at least one letter including a recipe for varnish which makes it sound as if he has used the recipe, and it's a fairly common one. Also analysis hasn't shown up anything strange. Add to that that several Strads have been revarnished in the centuries since they were made and still sound better than almost anyone else's violins.

He was a fantastically good craftsman with a thorough understanding of acoustics and aesthetics and it is the quality of his designs which make him unsurpassed, not his varnish.

I once held a Strad and got to look it over closely - it was stunning workmanship and made my violins look like careless rubbish.

I could probably get boring very quickly about the Suzuki method; my mother is a Suzuki teacher. I'll try and write something if you think it's appropriate but I might have a job making it unpartisan.


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 4

Milos

In your section on sizes you mention full- down to 1/32 (which would seem very small indeed), but without knowing how big a full size violin is, the rest is a little meaningless. Can you give average dimensions for a full size instrument?

The first paragraph in 'The Body' is quite large, and easy to get lost in. Any chance of breaking that up some?

Very informative. My son wanted to take strings in school, but the district we're in doesn't offer them (I'm not going to go off on a rant about the loss of music in schools... I'm not going to go off on a rant about the loss of music in schools...). He's taking private guitar lessons now, seems happy with them. Violin would have been cool, too, though.


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 5

janexxx

My two pennorth:

Maybe learning the violin, or playing techniques etc, should be a whole new entry, of which the Suzuki method would be just one section.

Hmmm...there's an idea.

I think this entry works very well as it is. Maybe the addition / mention of some of the great makers and their dates would be good to include.

(BTW I once got to hold a Strad too smiley - biggrin I even was allowed to put it under my chin, hold the Pierre Simon bow and play a scale!! The thing was alive I'm sure. Like driving a Ferrari after driving a Morris Minor! That was 4 years ago and I'm still smiling smiley - magic)


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 6

Milos

Bernadette, are you still working on this?


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 7

Cyzaki

Is this still being worked on?


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 8

Milos

Bernadette hasn't posted to h2g2 in several months, although she's quite active on the Parenting site. I'd say at this point it's probably safe to slide this over to the Flea Market.


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 9

Cyzaki

I agree.

smiley - panda


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 10

U168592

Before it goes into the Flea Market (and it probably shouldn't, because it's an Update, and if it goes into the Flea Market it could be construed that there isn't an EG Entry about Classical Violins, so it's probably better it's simply returned to Entry), if Bernie is happy, all she need do is remove this from PR and follow the UpdateForum process, which is this;

"The Update will then incubate in Peer Review for a minimum of seven days, and once the reviewers are happy the entry is 'finished' the chief updater will post to the thread announcing it as such. An Update will not be chosen for inclusion in the Edited Guide by a Scout, like any other Entry, as it is assured that the subject covered by the update already has a place in the Guide!

Once everyone is happy, the chief updater will then remove the Update from Peer Review and post a message with the Subject line entitled;

EF: Update Notification - *insert name of entry here*

at Editorial Feedback including the A-number of their update, the A-number of the entry needing to be updated and a link to the Peer Review thread concerning the Update. A member of the in-house team or a Curator will take that information on board and will then do some final checks in pretty much the same manner as an h2g2 University Project.

It is vital that all editing is done before the entry is accepted for the update, as it will not pass onto a Sub-editor for final proofing like any other Entry that passes through Peer Review. That means that all the punctuation and grammar must be spot on, that links and GuideML be correctly inserted and that - to be quite blunt - the update is perfect.

Finally, a member of the in-house team or a Curator will copy the text, check it for the usual concerns and paste it over the old entry, complete with any new contributors. It will then make its way to the Front Page as any other new Edited Guide entry would."

smiley - cheers


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 11

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

I haven't been very active for a while but I am still around.

Does anyone think this entry is finished? I can't think of anything else I would add that doesn't warrant its own entry but I haven't had the impression that the reviewers were happy with it. I think it's a bit better than the original though.

And please don't call me Bernie, I really don't like that name.


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 12

U168592

Got a reaction though dinnit? smiley - winkeye

I'm not sure if anything needs adding myself, I think it's good. smiley - ok

But perhaps some of the others have some ideas to improve it further, but once all have decided it's good to go, just remove it from PR and let the Eds know the Update is ready smiley - smiley


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 13

janexxx

It looks done to me.

smiley - biggrin


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 14

U168592



jane? Welcome back! smiley - laugh


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 15

janexxx

Hey - you missed me!!!
smiley - biggrin


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 16

U168592

Indeed, nice to see you about again smiley - smiley


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 17

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

Do you know how to remove entries from Peer Review? I click on the cross and get told I don't have permission to remove it. Am I missing something or do I have to contact the editors?

I even changed to Brunel to try and do it. So I'm rushing off now to change back while my eyes still work.


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 18

U168592

Unfortunately, Natalie moved it here, so only she has the power to remove it, so yeah, contact the Eds smiley - ok


A23124052 - UPDATE: Classical Violins

Post 19

The H2G2 Editors

This has now been removed from Peer Review and has updated the content of the original A-number which will then feature on the front page again in its own update promo. Well done Bernadette and all. smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post