Escape Pod Dreams - 57

1 Conversation

The Fear of Living and the Cult of Death

The New New blob

It can happen to anybody, but it usually happens to someone else.

I was reading an autobiography of a very old lady the other day. The fact that she is still surviving could be considered a miracle or a fact of life. What was simply amazing was the list of people that she has survived. Her mother lived almost as long as she has, so no surprise there. Her father died almost fifty years ago. Her husband almost forty. The one died of just plain excess, while the other died for reasons the finest doctors available at the time could not explain. I have, in my short term of 42 years, had a list of people whom I have survived. I do not know what killed half of them, but I have an accumulating sense that some of them might have lived their shorter lives with more usefulness than I have. Since, with my luck, I will survive many more people before I finally topple off this perch, I wonder what it is that God wants me to to do with what I have left. I'm also beginning to have the stinking suspicion that it might not be any of his business, as his track record is beginning to seem a little inconsistent, also.

More reasons to ask you doctor for the very latest in fashionable pills:

1. 8:57 AM
Embezzled prophets and plastered sepulchres

by
The grape thermometer: Now, with more food!

2. 9:57 AM
Metal and wood: Musical instruments and weapons, a philosophical series of jokes

by
Dr Tonic's Celery Robert

3. 10:57 AM
Odd fears and strange likings: The child becomes an adult becomes a child.

by
The crossing guard for poorly made 'T's

4. 11:57 AM
The Pervasiveness of the Catalog


by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

The Escape Pod Dreams
Archive

(tonsil revenge)

19.02.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A2304550

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more