A Conversation for My 2 cents worth...A Tought for Christmas...

Weak little cynic

Post 1

Prez HS (All seems relatively quiet here)

Hello TM,
I'm a little shameful here in the face of your belief. It would be good if there was a One coming up, or even the idea that a One could make a Difference. But this little cynic here doesn't believe in either thing. All the Einsteins and messiahs and suchlike have never invented anything that wasn't used more for personal gain than for the betterment of mankind.

No one wants to read it around Xmastime. I don't even want to read it. But they're my thoughts and I gotta think 'em.


Weak little cynic

Post 2

TowelMaster

Hi Prez,

Perhaps I did not express myself properly.

Albert Schweitzer
Mother Theresa
Dr. Alexander Fleming
Hippocrates
Florence Nightingale
Dr. Livingstone
Nelson Mandela

Etcetera, etcetera. Who is to say that all or most geniuses are scientists ? I mentioned Albert Einstein because he was a genius and not the worst person I have heard about, you may replace him with any other person. It doesn't change the fact that I think my view may actually be a bit more cynical than yours...I have sort of given up on the leading figures of the current generation. If there is ANY help to be expected it can only come from extra-terrestrials - and why should they bother ? - or from a future generation.

Something we may agree on : any species that neglects or abuses its offspring it bound to become extinct.

- 12 year old soldiers with guns ? The adults made those kalashnikofs
- Sweatshops all over the world ? The adults started them
- 40 % of the world-population between 8 and 18 years is illiterate ?
The adults can't be bothered to build schools.

And the list goes on...as individuals we may be allright...sort of....as a species we are hopeless...so if I am to hope all I can hope for is a future generation that might do better...

Observe the usage of the word 'Hope'...

Sincerely yours,

TM.

And thanks for the response, most unpleasant subjects tend to be ignored...another subtle sign...


Weak little cynic

Post 3

Jo (Dead)

Moving. Very moving, but can you think of something a litle more.....cheery to talk about?
smiley - smiley


Weak little cynic

Post 4

TowelMaster

Not on THis forum please, there's lots of others for that, you know, you're usually on them...smiley - winkeye The reason I set this one up is that ALL the other forums are so cheerful and bloody happy all the time...

It happens more often that you think...there's also a very boring forum on the subject of being bored...and so on and so on...

Still, you did know how to get here...so fire away...

TM.


Weak little cynic

Post 5

TowelMaster

Besides, I don't think the original article is that much down-beat. A bit deep and all perhaps but not down...

TM.


Weak little cynic

Post 6

Jo (Dead)

Okay. What am I supposed to say?
smiley - winkeye


Weak little cynic

Post 7

TowelMaster

How about : Yep, sure...when they come at my door I'll get me small change out...??


Weak little cynic

Post 8

TowelMaster

Oh : and THEN have a nice chat...LOL smiley - winkeye


Weak little cynic

Post 9

Jo (Dead)

"(what TM just said)"
smiley - smiley


Weak little cynic

Post 10

TowelMaster

I Think I understood that.. .. . .. .. . .. .so you are feeling lonely eh...?


Weak little cynic

Post 11

Prez HS (All seems relatively quiet here)

We do agree more than I thought. But your view still implies hope.
Or a simple refusal to be bothered by the dire convictions you have.
And I have. You are very right about the neglect for children that indicates an end. An end, not per se the end. The Human Race has not evolved in one line that will be declining for ever more now, it's had it's peaks and lulls. This might the lull we are heading for, a lull that might have begun after the peak of the Enlightenment.

I came to a similar conclusion after a very philosophical discussion with my parents a few nights ago. The growing individualism we are experiencing is a similar indication of either a lull, or extinction.
Individualism I came to see an escape, a replacement state of mind for a species that has lost the ability to think collectively and take collective action.

My apprehension concerning a possible One like you call for is not that we won't have such minds in future, just that in this stage no one will have the mind set any more to follow. Maybe the brilliant mind you speak of would her/himself be too much dipped in individualism that they won't develop as a social innovator.

That would mean a retreat into another Dark Ages. I don't think putting a dime in the UNICEF jar is going to stop that. And my thoughts come from my upbringing, which was done by a society that developed such a mindset long before I did.

Oh and Jinx... you're not alone in your call for more pleasant things.
May you and your peoples calls be answered for years and years to come. Because you and yours are going to be one pissed off MF if they aren't anymore. No offense.


You may ask yourself...

Post 12

TowelMaster

You may ask yourself :

"Is my glass half full or is it half empty?"


You may ask yourself...

Post 13

Prez HS (All seems relatively quiet here)

Ah, but that i don't do... I drink.

Do you get that? I see the glass as either half full or half empty, and I don't let it affect my state of mind. Either be the case, there's still enough left for me to drink.


You may ask yourself...

Post 14

Jo (Dead)

If I drink the remaining drink, it will be very empty.
smiley - smiley
Then I'll get another drink.


You may ask yourself...

Post 15

TowelMaster

Ahhh..but someone will have to make sure you're never without it...Otherwise I dare say that your glass will be empty eventually...


You may ask yourself...

Post 16

Jo (Dead)

Oh no. I'll always leave a tiny dribble in the bottom.
smiley - smiley


You may ask yourself...

Post 17

TowelMaster

Aahh yes...the perfect moment to ask for a refill.......


You may ask yourself...

Post 18

Jo (Dead)

Refill?
smiley - winkeye


You may ask yourself...

Post 19

TowelMaster

Well one glass surely would not be enough now would it...?

smiley - winkeye


You may ask yourself...

Post 20

Prez HS (All seems relatively quiet here)

not in my world...

what I meant to say is that i know that the glass will be empty some day... but judging how much there's left right now i think it'll last my time.

selfish? realistic. and cynical again. selfish too, but by the time people look back and scold my generation for drinking too much so there's nothing left for them i'll 've had my fun and I'll be pushing up some dandylions (the radioactivity-resistent mutated green-glo kind)


Key: Complain about this post