A Conversation for h2g2 On the Move

How about a list of phones that work?

Post 41

Adam C-R

That's what we do smiley - smiley Only we use scripts to generate the WML automatically.

One quick tip though: be very careful of the headers that your web server puts in above your WML. A careless end-of-line and your page will not be viewable through some WAP gateways... Each and every HTTP header should end in [CR][LF] and there should be a blank line between the headers and the WML content. Web browsers are tolerant of small changes here but WAP gateways and browsers aren't.


How about a list of phones that work?

Post 42

netbiker

That's the beauty of Apache -- it has no problems spitting out whatever headers you want, in the exact way you want them.

Anyway, to get back to the original topic of this conversation: What about a list of phones that work?

I just *successfully* accessed mobile.h2g2.com from Switzerland, using the Swiss diAx network as a carrier, and using (a) the diAx WAP Gateway, as well as (b) our company's own WAP Gateway.

The two phones used were:
1) A Nokia 7110. Piece of cake.
2) A Sony CMD-Z5. Bit trickier, because I heard about the mobile service from an article in Time magazine, and they quoted www.h2g2.com/onthemove as the URL - so I ended up with a whole huge great big HTML page on my screen... smiley - smiley

Anyway, the Z5 works without a hitch (no pun intended) once you point it at mobile.h2g2.com


How about a list of phones that work?

Post 43

Adam C-R

Great! Thanks for checking that out smiley - smiley

Any chance of you writing up a quick review of the Z5? I'm sure quite a few people (me included) would be interested in what you think... especially in the HTML-capable browser. What's the interface like for browsing web pages from a phone?


How about a list of phones that work?

Post 44

netbiker

OK, I'll do that. Check my personal space.


How about a list of phones that work?

Post 45

netbiker

Okay, it's entry A416594.

The interface is a lot better than can be expected, thanks largely to the multi-dimensional wheely thingy on the side.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more